Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2004, 10:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer output transformers from the 60's

Hello everyone,

I wonder if anyone here had experiance with fixing or remaking of Pioneer output transformers, I would like to duplicate their design without destroing one of my trasformers. As far as I can tell this is the best transformer design from the 60's that I have bumped into until today (compared against Fisher, scott, kenwood etc.).
Multi thin wire primery, no bobbin, highly laminated, thin plastic insulation between the layers, silicon steel core and so on and on...

Thank you very much.

glass_painter
Old 20th January 2004, 10:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Good luck...I can't seem to get a reply for my thread today ;P
Old 20th January 2004, 08:47 PM   #3
effindi is offline effindi  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Glass Painter,

That is just wonderful. Can you tell me more about this output transformer. Is it meant for SE or UL? What is the spec? I too am looking to duplicate some great transformer for my EL84 UL amp.

If I can have the specification, I can send them to my local trans winder. I'll be watching this thread for more information.
Old 21st January 2004, 07:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer transformers

Hi,

I am talking specificly about the AT6123 output transformer tipycal of the PP 6BQ5 to 7868 units. it is a regular PP unit not UL.

I have pioneer SM-83 amp and after replacing the tubes, caps, the resistors in the signal path and the electrolitics with good quality parts the amp sounds fantastic.

I have a lot of material for building transformers and would like to build some more based on this design. Hopefuly someone can help with the wire schema so that I will not have to destroy the spare unit I have got.

If you want to wind your own units, I think that a good place to start would be "turner audio" he has atransformer design there that I think can be converted to 6BQ5 design just by going from 44 mm tongu EI material to 25 mm, primery wire to size 0.22 instead of 0.36 and secondary wire size 0.65 mm instead 1 mm all the other aspects of the design (I E number of turns, number of layers etc.) can be unchanged.

Please let me know if you have tryed and what ware the results.

Good luck.

Glass_painter
Old 22nd January 2004, 11:53 PM   #5
effindi is offline effindi  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

Can you provide me the link to the turner transformer specification that you are referring to.

Cannot seem to get the right link yet...
Old 23rd January 2004, 08:28 AM   #6
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I think this is the link:
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/htmlwebpgs02/outputtrans.htm
Patrick Turner is friendly and approachable. He posts on the newsgroup "Rec Audio Tubes" (at least he was when I last checked).

Hide this!Advertise here!