• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The future of the Valve.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tell you one thing SY, I'd LOVE to see tubes glow brighter...
or not so much brighter, but ... larger filaments so you get a 'fire' like appeal to it. A Gas glowing red-fire too would just be a bonus!

I've got plenty of space on the chassis, anyone know some really good-looking tubes that would be of red-like service? :)

I remember seeing these globes that were coated with some phosphorus paint on the insides of the filaments, whenever they had something going across them they glowed BRILLIANT green or red or whatever, and were shaped in leaves and plants and flowers...

Now THOSE were kick-butt, I would really pay to see them come back as a tv-pc light!

http://electriclights.tripod.com/bulbs/figuralargon.htm
http://electriclights.tripod.com/bulbs/figuralneon.htm

Attachments

• figuralargon2.jpg
    figuralargon2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 366
SY said:

I would miss it terribly. I'd miss the smell, the feel of the radiated heat, the tinkle of the glass at warmup and cooldown. I'd miss the whole bottle look, the gestalt of clinging to my youth.

That's odd. In the 50s and 60s my father had a side business of buying and selling military electronic surplus. We had a large garage full of tube stuff. My first projects were tube based. My first job involved maintaining a several racks full of tube type audio gear. But when it came along (into non military apps) I thought the transistor was the coolest thing since sliced bread, and I've never looked back.

Err I don't mean to be rude, but keep this guy away from valves...
Just kidding! tho...

Respect what you say about valves and I'll respect what I say about transistors, okay?

We both have our differences, please don't refer to making a plate or grid glow red hot, it makes me cut my hair!...hehe.

Just remember, you wouldn't have been able to watch TV or use a CRT = Cathode Ray Tube aka YOUR MONITOR! (still almost everyones) for the past 50 years!, and even today...light bulbs wouldn't exist, incandescent, fluorescent, neon, NONE!

AFAIK the only 'lights' that aren't using glowing pieces of wire are LED's, but I don't wish those one-way things on anyone, especially when my case has one big blue one that I can't stand while it burns a shadow of me on the wall behind...

Haven't they got restrictions on consumer appliance light output?

I know light isn't regulated cause no lawyer in the world would like to pick a fight with the sun... but dear GOD man! these things should be put under control!

Thanks! I don't think anyone in the tube-hub really want to hear of valves getting damaged, they're already as rare as chips, audio ones anyway!, TV tubes are more common than anything nowdays, which brings into light the usefulness of large quantities and small money exchanging hands to maintain valve Televisions :p

I'd love to fall across a colour valve tv set!

CRT's though are extremely dangerous in these old sets, they become very very fragile ?over the years? and have very primitive implosion/explosion protection. especially on the larger sets like 21" or even 17"!

Btw you can get those glowing-metal globes on ebay right now!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1467&item=2980570735

I just tripped over em :p

I was hooked to valve some 15 years ago while I was 17! Built my first push pull when I was 18 and never look back since then.

Back then, resources were limited and no one ( teenage friends ) could not understand what I am doing and they fail to hear and feel the fidelity in valves.

These days, information on the web is much more available. There are many forums to help you through issues and problems. Many more circuits and valve ( common ones ) are available. More readily available than 15years ago.

Recently I am seeing that tube have come into the computer age too. For example, the latest computer motherboard from AOpen AXB-533 incorporating a tube valve preamp into the mainboard using 6922. We can argue on the type of valve that they are using but at least someone feels that it is time to go for the extreme best in PC audio after all the digital and transistor extremities... someone finally know that it is time for... valve!

Another example, a made from china, incorporate an active speaker with the tube sitting on top of the speaker cabs that is targetted for PC users. Again, the extreme of PC audio sound is.. TUBE!

I am seeing this consistent trend that the higher the fidelity you go, the closer you get to valve...

I work in the field of IC design and was working on the layout of a DVD streaming filters in which the design was eventually sold to a prominent Jap company. In the process, I get to know the scary and intriguing detail of the design, the amount of compensation, noise, signal deteriotation at every micrometer of the signal path, quality of amplification and many more trade-offs in the quality of signal. I believe any diy valveophiler would not want to know the harsh environment that their audio signal path have to go through before arriving to their pre and power valve amp. Avoid any silicon chip if at all that is possible.

You may hear the sound from the DVD to be clean and detail, God knows how much re-shaping and how much of the signal reconstruction that the signal went through before it reaches you. It's like metal in plastic out. It is an ugly thing. :whazzat:

... am I getting too lengthy here... okay.. I shall continue on other time.

I wouldn't worry about that valve-based motherboard, it has an AC97 codec as the input which is noisier than and cheaper than a tin can to stick your pennys in...

Other than that i've seen NO ONE over here buy one or seen anyone distribute them, here anyway...

The story may be different in european countrys *shrug*

Other than that I can see other objects like small amplifiers for 5.1 "tweeters" coming into use but high-powered jobs like the .1 (sub) couldn't possibly be done in a small box of 10x5 inches and not have a detrimental effect to the valve going 'boom boom boom', military valves maybe ? hehehe

I would not be surprised in the slightest if Creative stuck a valve preamplifier of some sorts in-line with one of their external USB dac's and asked for a wall-wart with $400 more than a ho-mai-yum-cha brand :p

Read the comments from the designer who is ... no surprise.. an audiophile ...

Now hmm, AN audiophile placing an unshielded preamplifier circuit in the middle of RFI HELL! and using cheap 400v capacitors for the 150 or lower so odd voltage that tube runs upon, hmmm

It has a doubler circuit onboard aswell, because that P4 connector's highest voltage is 12v so no way in heck theres going to be even the most possible out of that tube, not that it matters anyway :bigeyes:

And when that circuit does finally die off, probably in 3-5 years like everything else that comes from Asia it might just as well take out those PCI tracks or that chipset's tracks and you'll loose the mobo anyway... but of course anyone who wants to keep their PC mobo nowdays needs to replace all of the onboard caps with better quality "ones".

Been going on for years..

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/mb/capsbad.htm
http://www.eetimes.com/news/97/952news/time.html
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index2.htm
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/mobo/compCaps-c.html

There is a change though...

As we've seen, Abit hasn't concentrated on adding integrated peripherals and features to the BH7, but that doesn't mean they haven't paid special attention to the board's components. Most notably, the BH7 features high-end Rubycon capacitors. Abit isn't the first motherboard maker to use Rubycon capacitors; manufacturers like Asus have been using them selectively on some of their high-end boards. However, Abit has taken things on step further on the BH7 by using Rubycon capacitors exclusively here.

We'll test to see whether the BH7 with its fancy caps really is a good overclocker, but the mere presence of high-end capacitors bodes well—not just for overclocking and stability, but for the board's longevity, as well. I wouldn't expect to see these capacitors causing the problems some cheap caps have caused some users recently.

Cheers.

great thread...

...it is very interesting to see more development going into bringing valves back from the dead and in producing better quality reporductions of great valves from the past like mullard and telefunken 12ax7s.

but sadly a lot of valves are dying out and that means options and chances to make more affordable gear. in hifi tube is growing but will always but at the higher end. in guitar music, tube has established itself very strongly, but is largely built around 3-4 preamp tubes and about 5-6 output tubes. in the recording world tube preamps, compressors and mastering equipment are more prominant than for a very long tim. strangely the advent of high spec digital recording has created a sense of "mojo" around tube gear.

all that said the range of kits, parts and ease of getting good quality transformers makes it easier for people to get into building amps and even starting up companies using tube technology.

things are good, better than 5 years ago and far, far better than 15 years ago!

I agree with you, however what about immortalising valves for good?

I was considering using 3d Laser scanners ither home-made or commercial ones to scan the external structure of a valve with or without the glass envelope and immortalise it in some form of sheet or non-obsoletion data format..

So that way the last WE on earth will be immortalised and be able to repoduced when consumers can buy these things in 2030 or 2100 :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.