• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The hardest part about a DIY tube amp is.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finding a design to build! I have looked and looked and do not know enough about all the classics to know if an old Eico or Marantz would fill the fill, so I want to get some input. I am a tinkerer and a solder slinger but I am no designer. I wanted something that could (if possible) get by with just point to point wiring and no PCB's.

Anyone know of an amplifier that would include the following? Obviously, not everything is included here but this is in very general terms what I have been looking for.

Integrated amplifier design
Capacitor coupled
Push-pull

4 x KT88 or EL34

2 power transformers
1 psu chokes
2 anode chokes
2 Output Transformers

Pre-amp controls
- Line Input Selector - 4 sources 4 sets of RCA Inputs
- Stepped Volume Control
Speaker taps - Main L / R 8 ohm only

Last edited:
I see you have 2 Anode Chokes listed, are you considering a Balanced Parafeed design?

I love point to point construction.

The Pre-Amp design is just as important, to say the least. What kind of input are you going to use? And will this Pre-Amp be on board this chassis? Or do you already have something doing the Pre-Amp duty? Regulated Power Supply is Key. What about negative feedback, distortion %'s?

I'm exactly where you're at. And reading as much as I can.

Regards, Doug

Finding a design to build! I have looked and looked and do not know enough about all the classics to know if an old Eico or Marantz would fill the fill, so I want to get some input. I am a tinkerer and a solder slinger but I am no designer. I wanted something that could (if possible) get by with just point to point wiring and no PCB's.

Anyone know of an amplifier that would include the following? Obviously, not everything is included here but this is in very general terms what I have been looking for.

Integrated amplifier design
Capacitor coupled
Push-pull

4 x KT88 or EL34

2 power transformers
2 psu chokes
2 anode chokes
2 Output Transformers

Pre-amp controls
- Line Input Selector - 4 sources 4 sets of RCA Inputs
- Stepped Volume Control
Speaker taps - Main L / R 8 ohm only

Good idea!
Why do I need "2 psu chokes" ?
Separate anode power - very good.
Output and power transformers have already purchased?
What the rest of the tube you wish to use?

Good idea!

I am guessing it if for two monoblocks.

For the OP, keep in mind that any of designs that have global feedback, the compensation networks are for the specified output transformer only.
You need a >10Mhz scope to fine tune the compensation if you use a different output transformers

Point to point is certainly possible, maybe have a look in the Photo Gallery thread.

For the OP, keep in mind that any of designs that have global feedback, the compensation networks are for the specified output transformer only.
You need a >10Mhz scope to fine tune the compensation if you use a different output transformers

Point to point is certainly possible, maybe have a look in the Photo Gallery thread.

Oops,

I changed it back to just 1 psu choke. It's a single chassis.

Really good power supply. Period.

AMEN!

If the OP is willing to add the 7591 to the list of potential "finals", a variation on the "El Cheapo" theme is a possibility. Fisher, Scott, Sherwood ... took full advantage of the fact that small signal circuitry used with "12" W. O/P tubes requires no change to drive 7591s. Obviously, the "trick" is available to anybody that cares to use it.

FWIW, "El Cheapo" was designed so the builder needs only a decent DMM to complete the project. A brute force method of phase compensation is available. Connect a small cap. from the "hot" leg of the O/P trafo to ground. The cap. shorts the NFB loop out above a freq. of at least 80 KHz. The better the O/P "iron", the smaller the cap. becomes.

Attachments

• EC big.gif
    EC big.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas AVM
Good idea!

Originally Posted by costis_n

Thank you.
But I do not need help.
I talked to starttopic post1.

Last edited:
AMEN!

If the OP is willing to add the 7591 to the list of potential "finals", a variation on the "El Cheapo" theme is a possibility. Fisher, Scott, Sherwood ... took full advantage of the fact that small signal circuitry used with "12" W. O/P tubes requires no change to drive 7591s. Obviously, the "trick" is available to anybody that cares to use it.

FWIW, "El Cheapo" was designed so the builder needs only a decent DMM to complete the project. A brute force method of phase compensation is available. Connect a small cap. from the "hot" leg of the O/P trafo to ground. The cap. shorts the NFB loop out above a freq. of at least 80 KHz. The better the O/P "iron", the smaller the cap. becomes.

Thats very interesting. I'm not married to anything really. Every time I settle on something, I run across a piece of information that changes my mind. Right now I am waffling on choke filtered or cap filter powered supplies. Clearly cap filtered is cheaper and more efficient, but if choke sounds better then I want choke. If I wanted efficiency I would build a solid state amp. :-D

Last edited:
Right now I am waffling on choke filtered or cap filter powered supplies. Clearly cap filtered is cheaper and more efficient, but if choke sounds better then I want choke.

Choke I/P filters are inherently well regulated and, in their own way, efficient. When choke I/P filtration is employed, it is possible to access the full VA capability of the power trafo rectifier winding. Due to I2R heating effects, only about 1/2 of the rectifier winding's VA capability is available, when cap. I/P filtration is used.

Choke I/P filters are current rich and voltage poor. Cap. I/P filters are voltage rich and current poor. High value cap. I/P filters are reasonably well regulated, but introduce other issues. Scan the archives for my posts about "hash" filters.

Keep the Laws of Physics firmly in mind and select a rational setup. Sweat the details and a good result will be obtained. Compromises are inevitable, with cost, space, and weight being obvious factors.

+1 for the El Cheapo - even a hacked together variation with some changes to suit on-hand parts can sound very musical - built a couple with EL84s and salvaged terminally ill Scott amps a while back, and one is still sounding too good to risk transplanting to an all new chassis

Second hardest part about a DIY tube amp after the power supply, is probably affording the output iron to deliver the bandwidth you're hoping for - which is were the Scott LK48 OPT came in hand - one pair found a home in TubeLab Simple P/P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.