Consonance ELLA - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2004, 12:19 PM   #1
Brap is offline Brap  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Consonance ELLA

After many posts on another forum (Klipsch), I think I'm dialing in on the Ella amp and for now will run direct from a CD player until finances permit a nice pre-amp kit.

Questions

1) Who has experience with the Ella?
2) Upgrade to KT-88's?? (I left a message with the mfg. to ask about the bias and output transformer handling these)
3) Suggestions on a good pre-amp? Prefer a kit, but have learned the Creek OBH-12 is a nice piece for the $$. Am considering sticking with a tube pre -- possibly matching the Basie to this.

Your thoughts are appreciated
Old 19th January 2004, 11:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
3) Suggestions on a good pre-amp?
Does it have to have gain?

Cheers,
Old 20th January 2004, 02:00 AM   #3
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Consonance ELLA

Quote:
Originally posted by Brap
3) Suggestions on a good pre-amp? Prefer a kit, but have learned the Creek OBH-12 is a nice piece for the $$.
If you're considdering the Creek, have a look at this: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Remote3/index.html

And also have a look at my post in "Trading Post"...

You can always convert a passive pre to an active one if you need gain or a buffer stage. If you keep the pre close to the poweramp, I think a passive should work fine. It works for me...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Old 20th January 2004, 02:42 AM   #4
bcherry is offline bcherry  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bcherry
Hi Brap
Quote:
I left a message with the mfg. to ask about the bias and output transformer handling these
If you sent it to me, I didn't get it.
Quote:
Suggestions on a good pre-amp? Prefer a kit, but have learned the Creek OBH-12 is a nice piece for the $$. Am considering sticking with a tube pre -- possibly matching the Basie to this
The Basie is not suitable as too much gain. The ideal match (although more budget is needed) would be TVC-based linestage. Or drill a couple holes and install a toggle switch and extra set of RCA jacks. There is room.

Brian
Old 20th January 2004, 10:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I did some work with the ella
what i did was build the stock unit for a local audio shop
built up the stock unit didn't really like it .
change to triode and remove the feedback with a reduction of power also some components mods and did some circuit optimization. Changed the el34 to eh6550 and ehkt88 with both biased at -40volts. As i recall from the curves for both of this tubes, -40 is smack into class A region and drawing lots of current.
You could feel the slight increase in power, but i prefered the eh6550 to the kt88 which i felt sounded to boomy. The el34 used was svets which sounded fine to me. Opt seems oversized for the job anyway. Work fine with kt88s into almost deep class a anyway. For gladly recommend it due to the price paid and the sound in return. Not affliciated with bcherry though. Just an honest opinion

Hide this!Advertise here!