• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Have you used the 15A6 pentode as an audio output tube ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've scored some NOS Pentode tubes; type - 15A6 - which are supposedly the same as types - PL83 and N309. Mine are actually marked as 15A6, with most being of the Haltron brand and the rest are Philips.

These are a video pentode designed for T.v receivers with a very linear set of curves. It has a plate dissipation of 9 watts and of course a 15 volt heater.
I have not found any published push-pull audio specs for these tubes; other than some S.E applications for the N309 by Marconi. I believe the N309 was used also in some 1950's radio recievers as the S.E output tube. I estimate a pair may deliver about 20 watts or so in Class AB or B hopefully with all the benefits of having linear plate curves. Linearity means - Low Distortion - under the the right operating conditions.

Some internet sources also claim the PL83 is a very close replacement for the EL84 ( 6BQ5 ) - though I would not go as far as saying it's a direct equivalent.

I'm interested to know if anyone has used these tubes ( specifically the 15A6 ) in a push-pull amp ( class A, AB or B operation ) and what sort of results they may have attained ? I'm also after some proven circuits for using these in push-pull.
I've attached the specs for those interested. - Thanks.

Attachments

• PL83 - N309 ( Audio SE Class-A Specs ).pdf
    496.7 KB · Views: 159
  • PL83 - ( 15A6 ) Philips.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 104
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The curves look quite promising both in pentode and triode connection. I'd say that is a go.. :D

Unfamiliar type, but I would think any EL84 based designs with some minor tweaks (note the difference in vg) and a maximum plate and screen voltage of 250V would be a good starting point, recalculate the load lines in order to choose the appropriate output transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.