SE 811 amp schematic... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2014, 02:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SE 811 amp schematic...

Anyone build a SE 811A amp that isn't using a Shishido design? I have a couple of RCA 811s, and want to try em out...
I saw an old thread that said "search the archives", but didn't see an archives section,,,

Regards,
John
Old 1st October 2014, 02:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What are your design goals / priorities besides SE?
Old 1st October 2014, 02:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCurwen View Post
What are your design goals / priorities besides SE?
Preferably using tube stages, and no interstage transformers, if possible...
I'd like to see teh "archive zip file" mentioned in teh other thread here, but can't access it...

Regards,
John
Old 1st October 2014, 03:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Cost versus complexity versus fidelity? How transparent do you want to make it? Is power efficiency important, and if so, more/less than transparency?
Old 1st October 2014, 03:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm just tinkering here,,,cost is always the main factor,,, just wanted to see some schematics, and try out teh tube(s)... Here's a schem I may try...
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/images/audio/sv811_1.gif

Regards,
John
Old 1st October 2014, 04:38 PM   #6
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

Please note that the referenced schematic is not using a standard 811A transmitting triode, but a newer Svetlana tube which is not the same... it has no plate cap for starters. A real 811A transmitting tube will not operate in the referenced schematic. As with most transmitting triodes (3C24, 808, 811), you will need to operate them in Class A2 mode (meaning the grid is always positive).

You might want to start with something similar to this:

I-811A.SE

Search around his site... he has several 808/811 amplifiers complete with schematics and measured specifications. The dynamic driver (shown) is a cost-reduced setup, while an interstage transformer would be better albeit more expensive.

Regards, KM
Old 1st October 2014, 05:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaier View Post
Please note that the referenced schematic is not using a standard 811A transmitting triode, but a newer Svetlana tube which is not the same... it has no plate cap for starters. A real 811A transmitting tube will not operate in the referenced schematic. As with most transmitting triodes (3C24, 808, 811), you will need to operate them in Class A2 mode (meaning the grid is always positive).

You might want to start with something similar to this:

I-811A.SE

Search around his site... he has several 808/811 amplifiers complete with schematics and measured specifications. The dynamic driver (shown) is a cost-reduced setup, while an interstage transformer would be better albeit more expensive.

Regards, KM
Thank's for teh input,,, thats what I was looking for,,,I'm not into foreign, modern tubes!!! I found a schematic that uses RCA 811s, with a 6L6, and 6SN7, I believe, for teh other stages,,, I was thinking of trying it with a 6BG6 to build a plate cap tube amp!!! I used teh 6BG6s in a 6L6SE amp I've been working on,,, really sounds good so far... Thanks again for teh input,,,

Regards,
John
Old 1st October 2014, 07:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Michimori Hirokuni also has some designs, and I think he may be active on this forum too.

Single-ended triode Amps using zero-bias transmitting tubes
Old 1st October 2014, 08:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input,,, got a interesting, simple schem on teh AK forum...6SN7, 6V6, 811...

Regards,
John
Old 1st October 2014, 10:47 PM   #10
multi is offline multi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Unless you spend a lot of money on an inter-stage the cathode follower or mosfet will always sound better. I have made lots of PP 811A 100 watt amps using 6BL7's as the cathode followers, nothing even comes close. The 811A's last for ever. I have also made SE 811a's, SE, but i think PP has much better sound.
Phil

Hide this!Advertise here!