• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N1P for buffer instead of 6DJ8, 6922

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm a tube newbie, I would like to build a tube buffer as my first tube project. However, the 6N1P tube is the most easiest tube that can be found locally. Can I use the 6N1P in place of the 6922 or the 6DJ8 or the ECC88 or the 12AU7?

Can anyone also point me to a proven tube buffer schematic, hopefully with solid state psu?

Thanks in advance!
JojoD

Hi Jojo

As far as my little experience goes, 6N1P is pretty close to the 6DJ8, 6922 family. Heater current is far higher = 2A. Give a look at headwize

One of the editions of glassware shows a project of a "no gain, no pain" pre-amplifier using one 6922 tube/channel. Actually the circuit doesn´t even show an attenuator, so it´s a buffer already. Here is the link glass-ware Take care with the high voltages.

Good luck

Erik

Thank you very much! That was exactly what I was looking for. I am really seriously planning on building that circuit, hopefully to open my way on tubes and also to inject the "tube sound" to my solid state system.

However, the power supply does not give any values for the caps? Any suggested values? (I love this one, it uses descrete diodes! No extra cost for tube rectifiers :D )

Sincerely,
JojoD

More information

Hi JodoD818

I believe 200VDC rated caps must be sufficient for the PS, as the secondary from the trafo is 100VAC, what will give a raw 140VDC.

You could download the PS simulator from duncan amplifers and simulate the PS circuit. The program will calculate the voltage across each cap.

An other sugestion, although I haven´t tested it myself, is to add some more components around the bridge rectifier. Give a look at the power supply of the Thermionic Valve Analogue Stages for Digital Audio .
Van der veen uses something similar in the circuit of the maurits .

Good luck...and don´t invert the caps polarity,

Erik

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Just a quick note:

Don't rely on the data provided by the Svetlana site too much as it is partially in error.

They would have you believe it's a direct replacement for the 6DJ8 whereas it is not.

One major factor is that nominal Ri is closer to 11K another being the µ is 35, NOT 33.

This, of course will have an impact on Zo.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Did I overlook a good tube??

That depends on your expectations...I wouldn't use it in a preamp as the last tube though.

BTW, you can call me by my first name: Frank.

I can tell endless stories about Russkie tubes as, as usual, most of them passed through Belgium prior to being exported to the US during the Cold War...

If ever I find myself in dire straights....I might take a shot at that and write a book about these gems.

Cheers,;)

Thanks Frank

Thanks for the info. Frank. Someone has suggested the 6n30, I believe. I am considering a new, more expensive model down the road to add to my collection, but I would have to do a total redesign, filament, plate etc.

How would you rate this tube?

Thanks for your advise.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

How would you rate this tube?

Extraordinary but on short supply...
Unless you want to run a very limited edition, I wouldn't use it...

In the long run it seems rather unfair to customers given the current situation...
Hopefully the Russians love their children too and they'll do a rerun for us....( that's me being sarcastic)

I'm not counting on the rerun though...

If you can secure a few thousands of them now, yeah...Why not?

Somehow, I doubt it though...

Best regards, ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

It seems that you do not like a 6N1P in a preamp and you have your reasons for that,

Keep in mind that it won't be me listening to your preamp but you.

Personally, I've nothing against it other than false propaganda coming from the Svetlana website.

Maybe one day I'll tell THEM how tubes are made and how the industry works?
In the meantime I'll shut up...

Using the 6N1P in a pre is not a brilliant idea, better performance can be had from a 6922.

Cheers,;)

I have built an SRPP buffer with a pair of Sovtek 6n1p's. I like the sound quite a bit. The problem is that I have no knowledge in circuitry other than some idea about how a plate follower and cathode follower work. I am really confused about a few aspects of the circuit:

First, am I supposed to be able to get a very good sound out of 6n1p's? It does not seem to enjoy the best of reputation among the experts in this forum.

Second, anybody know how to calculate the gain for this SRPP circuit? From my subjective impression, comparing the volume with and without the buffer, I estimate the gain at unit or a little less. Anybody here can enlighten me on this?

Third, with 330v applied at the top tube plate and the ground, the Iq mearued about 6.25 ma and the biase is at 0.00625x330=-2.06v. I was expectiing the tubes to draw much more current than that at this biase point. Where did I go wrong?

I am really curious about how this circuit can work out so well for me. I would really like your opinion on this.

Here is the schematics of my SRPP and the charateristic chart of Sovetek 6n1p.

:confused:

Attachments

• srpp_6n1p+char.jpg
    srpp_6n1p+char.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,218
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.