• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Opinion upon amp life expectancy at 5 hours/day? (theres a catch)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What should I expect out of brand new components apart from the PIO caps in terms of life expentancy of the entire set as compared to a transistorised amplifier?

I've had about four transistor based sets in my day, straight off the mill stuff like Yamaha, Sanyo, Sharp, Teac and others...

three of them developed serious problems within 5 years, 1 of them (the teac) has a minor front-panel problem, while tho makes the set useless is of course binded by the (the most simplest components are usually the ones which have the most control but of least consideration in reliability)..

Cheers :p

I expect no bashing of anyone! Ya Heer!? :clown:

No repeats of page 4-5: The attraction of vacuum tubes / valves.

Magura said:
depending of work conditions you can expect up to 50.000 hrs of reliable operation from a tube.
Magura

50 Khours is a preamp tube run nowhere near any of its ratings.

Output tube life is extremely critical of how much juice you are
trying to extract from then, life low/medium single figure Khours,
but can be more if power output is not fully untilised.
I beleive the Quad 22 was deliberately underpowered
to achieve in the region of 6 Khours output tube life.

:) sreten.

Well made tubes, even Beam Power, Power Tetrodes and Power Pentodes will provide many years of service if the tubes are operated within their published specifications.

I just replaced the 7591A output tubes in my HH Scott model 299C integrated amplifier after nearly forty years of service.
During the first thirty years, the amplifier was used to power a pair of lobby monitor speakers in a radio station. The amplifier operated 24/7.
During the last ten years, the amplifier sat on a shelf.

When I received the amplifier, I tested it. The 299C produced thirty watts of power per channel before clipping.
This the exact number that HH Scott published forty years ago.

mmm I can understand why they are so reliable, in 1938 I bet not too many could pay the power bill long enough to have them on for a few hours a week!

AND of course the makeup of mere metal and solder with a burning wire doesn't exactly allow for very much mechanical failure = if they aren't running hot :p

I intend wholeheartedly to run everything "just" below spec, I'm making a valve amplifier not only for:

1. Looks
2. Sound quality with such a simple design.
3. My KISS methodology to everything.
4. I can brag that my amp has more useful watts. Can I? :p No.
5. Everything in nature and life (reality) has it's own character.
6. Reliability! (I don't have to go to wal-mart/future-bi-lo to get another one in 50 years)
7. Now in the state of the supply of electricity to homes it's more important to me to have something able to handle that extra sudden 60volts and still be alive.
8. I've replaced so much "modern, reliable, tech" bull it's makin me sick and turning me green /me grabs hat and runs off nude :D
9. If I ever get struck by lightning, I want something that they can sell for a coffin on ebay.com.au. (Probably get $1)
10. I LOVE kick-*** nostalgia from 1930's on :p

Cheers!

Different experience

I was seriously into amateur radio in its last tube only days, and my experience about the reliability of tubes is radically different than what has been reported here. Our (then) posh receivers typically had 20-30 tubes in them, and for maximum performance I was replacing one or another every couple of months.

Anyone remember tube-based colour televisions: nightmares re: reliability because of tube deterioration. Norman

mmm yes, but you must remember nearly all early and even late tv's had plenty of high-powered high-voltage components and were /VERY/ heavily manufactured, maybe most manufacturers cut corners and used the most possible out of the humble tube, although I don't see how that could affect valves like in the audio stage or first stage of VHF amps?

Driver tubes I could understand, come on 6+ kV? :p

I can't say anything to calm your 'receiver' woes tho..

hmm A LOT of valves!

Maybe before the days that FM was easy?

Cheers.

clarification

Sorry, in regard to tube-based colur television reliability I wasn't referring to the picture tube, but to the others.

Anyone around in those days will recall that tube replacement in televisions and radios was so frequently required that customer-run tube testers and tube supplies were even available in supermarkets. Norman

Ehm,

Yes I know tube replacement was often in Tv sets back then, my brother's father told me a few times that tv tubes in tv sets were always being replaced, not to mention I also got my share of old-time american movies where they were replacing valves on tv or having a referral towards them getting replaced..:confused:

Maybe this is what threw you off :p

"Driver tubes I could understand, come on 6+ kV? :p"

It is late and I think i'll go :p

also, I'm easy on people, but not when I'm tired, so i'm a bit grouchy. sorry.

And yes, the CRT was hardly ever replaced, half of the time it could be fixed by a simple jolt to one of the guns (not sure of details, but i'm sure any half-witted electro-jocky could tell you that it's still done today)..

Most of the time it was some other component, till this day the CRT is the most reliable component of the TV set!

Although don't mess with them in old sets pre-1980 even.

They're like bombs just moving an old-style tv set is risking your neck! or for better words risking plenty of cuts and maybe even a hand inside a heap of imploded glass fragments, that or a discharge from the set circut itself that could blow you straight flat on your back over a varandah or something :p

I remember reading an old 1970's tv repair manual that I still have handy somewhere, In a 'Saftey' portion of the book front-and centre it had the picture of a nice 1950's set with a whole heap of fragments all over the floor up to 12 foot from the set!! :att'n:

Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.