• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Modified Dynaco PAS Phono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished a line/phono stage, and For the phono section
I took the Dynaco PAS and tweeked it, and must say
I was pleasantly surprised at its performance. For evaluation
I used Wilson Audiophile's recording of a James Welch organ concert
Which is known for its dynamics and accurate rendering
Of the acoustics at the Air Force Academy Chapel. I was really impressed
With the bass performance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    738.7 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
What kind of circuit did you end up with? The Dyna's line stage certainly leaves a lot to be desired, though.

So far as the feedback in the phono stage, I used a 100k in parallel w/ a 820pf cap connected to a 4.7M in parallel to a 2700pf cap caps are TDK multi-layer ceramic, and everything else is the same except for slightly larger coupling caps.
The line stage is a 12au7 common cathode stage coupled to a cathode follower, with the gain of 8~10dB in the line stage.

Joined 2011
So far as the feedback in the phono stage, I used a 100k in parallel w/ a 820pf cap connected to a 4.7M in parallel to a 2700pf cap caps are TDK multi-layer ceramic, and everything else is the same except for slightly larger coupling caps.
The line stage is a 12au7 common cathode stage coupled to a cathode follower, with the gain of 8~10dB in the line stage.

I believe you'll need to recalculate the RIAA parts; these seem to be the original values, and likely won't give a flat response.

Joined 2011

Have you tried taking the RIAA feedback directly coupled from the second plate, instead of after its coupling capacitor?
Not only do you eliminate one of the two series output caps, but also you get DC bias on the RIAA caps.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
All I can say is the sound was right on, maybe it has to do with the tolerance of the caps used, not sure. I ran the design through Spice and it looked good to me.
"right on"? as rayma hinted, while you may very well like the sound but the original PAS does not meet the RIAA standard. One of the most popular mods for the PAS is to correct the RIAA playback error.

Joined 2011
"right on"? as rayma hinted, while you may very well like the sound but the original PAS does not meet the RIAA standard. One of the most popular mods for the PAS is to correct the RIAA playback error.

You can build an inverse RIAA network and use a square wave input to get a feel for the response with even a simple scope.
Precise data require more elaborate equipment, though.

For the PAS I've always had the notion to add a ZVN0545A to the output, ala the Duttman upgraded RCA phono stage. Of course the begs the question, FB loop (for the Dyna type circuit) before or after the follower.

And of course I would have to have a PAS lying around ;)

Edit: Curcio has a quick upgrade to get a better RIAA response from a stock PAS.

Last edited:

All I can say is that the values I calculated, and simulated in B2 Spice had the smoothest response. I've listened to many live organ events, as well as many recordings. All the upper registers, to the lowest of pedal notes were captured with true realism! Maybe my ears are off, I don't know but I appreciate the constructive criticism.

For the PAS I've always had the notion to add a ZVN0545A to the output, ala the Duttman upgraded RCA phono stage. Of course the begs the question, FB loop (for the Dyna type circuit) before or after the follower.

And of course I would have to have a PAS lying around ;)

Edit: Curcio has a quick upgrade to get a better RIAA response from a stock PAS.

I have also considered a mosfet buffer on a pas... a good starting point would be the Koren pas circuit (replace the cathode follower with a source follower) but I don't know if it would be a drop in replacement without recalculating the eq network. You might need a device with higher current capability to drive the feedback as well as the output.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
All I can say is that the values I calculated, and simulated in B2 Spice had the smoothest response. I've listened to many live organ events, as well as many recordings. All the upper registers, to the lowest of pedal notes were captured with true realism! Maybe my ears are off, I don't know but I appreciate the constructive criticism.
Not questioning your hearing nor personal preference at all - just the smoothness as you put it. In this case, it is easy to compare the results since the RIAA standard is readily available. On my simulator, here are the frequency responses of the Dynaco and a modified version, played through the inverse RIAA network:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Not questioning your hearing nor personal preference at all - just the smoothness as you put it. In this case, it is easy to compare the results since the RIAA standard is readily available. On my simulator, here are the frequency responses of the Dynaco and a modified version, played through the inverse RIAA network:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks, I will work with the curcuit some more, I could have missed something in the simulation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.