• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Comparisons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now that I am learning more from all the expertise here, I think I've narrowed my search down to three choices of kits to contend with. (Yeah, I guess i'm not that much of a purist do get the components and build my own -- sorry!!)

Wellborne DRD2A3
Bottlehead Paramour 2A3
LadyDay+ 300B

Realizing this may not be a fair comparison, I was wondering if there is a website that has done comparisons on these??

I've read much about the Bottleheads and one reqview caught my eye from Colin Flood seeing he was driving Klipsch horns like I will be doing. He sounded impressed, and I believe their upgrade kit is worth it.

Thoughts / comments/ recommendations?

Thanks and appreciate all your wonderful comments.

Brap

Seeing double....

I thought I'd kick things off with a copy of what I posted in your last thread. It's in better context here:

The Paramour's are sweet things, and (to my ears) sound surprisingly good for the cost and their simplicity.
They are definately good value for money, but I have 3 criticisms:
1. The build quality is poor: Jagged edges and surface marks on chassis plates. Transformers "nude", don't look good to my eyes. Mounting system for transformers is amateurish.
2. The instructions are wierd . Since I was building these for a friend, I thought I owed it to him to build them the way they said. There were so many modifications, alternative parts and amendments that it was easier for me to ignore them.
3. The hum level on the output, with the hum balance pot optimised, and the CCS fitted was 7mV. I think that is too high for high efficiency speakers. Extra decoupling fixed it to an acceptable level.

But despite all of the above, when finished, I played them for a day and loved them!
The kind of music I played was orchestral, mandolin and female jazz vocal. I doubt (though I didn't try) they would hold up so well as they did on heavy rock or organ music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.