• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Conrad Johnson PV10 mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SCR is the French factory that stamps out the Solen brand for Canada. SCR and Solen are identical. They also sound basic and flat gray but they are good value. No doubt a first class cap will reign over the stock ones big time. It does not take to be 4uF (very expensive per uF when talking boutique caps), 0.68uF will be super for say 100k and over power amp input impedance. And will sound better than a bigger one too.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I replaced once the output caps of a guy's PV-10AL as an upgrade service. Nice sound, pro human sonic traits, colored somehow, not especially neutral or powerful. I had an Ecc82 (12AU7) cascade pre of my own design too. Same circuit principals but mine used tube rectification and a battery of chokes for PSU. Was way better. I suggest you may use CV4003 for tubes also. Now I am using this , at the bottom. Its in another class entirely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.