• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transformers for valve headphone amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are good sources of transformers for valve headphone amps ?
I'm thinking of a simple single-ended circuit. The headphones I'll be using have 32 ohms impedance.

Alternatively, I might build them myself. What are good sources for the laminated sheets I would need ?

Last edited:
I'm curious about something.

Building a tube headphone amp, which is way more complex and expensive than going SS with some chipamp, or even an Op Amp (think NE5532), should at least in theory be justified by better quality in some aspect.

But reverb driver transformers are cheap narrow bandwidth, poor quality designs :eek:, designed to drive narrow bandwidth, poor audio quality reverb tanks :eek:

Am I missing something? :scratch1:

What valve are you looking to use for finals? This will help narrow down output transformer options due to primary load requirements.

I'm looking at using 6E5P for finals, maybe even as a unique active element. Nothing is set in stone, yet.
I'm also considering using a cathode repeater as a final stage which would allow me to eliminate the transformer. This would make the circuit cheaper but especially much lighter.

There's some choice.

Sowter makes special transformers for headphones: see here

Electra-print has experience with winding transformers for headphones, according to your specs.

If you go parafeed, there's a lot more choice... I used cheap little edcor PCW10K-7K/300-32 in a recent build and they're very decent.

Edcor PCW10K-7K/300-32 is a good suggestion as it is smaller, cheaper and most importantly only weighs 0.4lbs! :D
Sowfter seems to be much more expensive, so it's out for the moment.

With half of spec max DC frequency response starts usually at something like 25 Hz, then rises rapidly with increasing current.

Anyway why do serial feed in a low power application? It's not like we do tube amps for their overall efficiency? I say always go parafeed for headphones at least.

Anyway why do serial feed in a low power application?

Because it's absolutely conventional, and single-ended, transformer in the plate circuit is in some ways both considered the best performer and the most likely to deliver that characteristic valve sound.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just pointing out that that topology is considered attractive in some quarters. Parafeed and hybrid are somehow second best, with OTL acceptable if it'll work with your phones.

I always use Hammond 125D in parafeed, for both SE and balanced. 10k : 4 ohm.

Works perfect for pretty much any kind of headphones. Also speakers can be driven with the same amp, same output.

I confirm: I used the same Hammond transformers in a parafeed D3a amp, and surprisingly, they sound VERY good with my Sennheiser HD650 headphones!
I also drive bookshelf speakers with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.