• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube swapping with my Condensor Mic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey All, I have an ADK TC, it's a tube condensor mic. It has what appears to be a 12ax7 but the specs say it is a 6072A valve, I don't know the difference. I have an old Mcintosh 240 with some old telefunken 12ax7's and I was thinking about putting one in the microphone. I'm pretty new to tubes and don't know if theres a reason this might not work or might hurt anything. Can somebody help tell what's going on, if this should work or not?

Here are the TC Specs, ADK Microphones - Audiophile Series Microphone Catalog - Model TC

-Charlie

It will work, just not terribly well. 12AY7 is still your best sub. They're not cheap ($50-100), but if you have patience, you can probably score a few for a reasonable sum.

12AT7/ECC81 is a bit farther away, but a lot closer than a 12AX7/ECC83.

edit: Saw some Russian 6072A on EBay for $15.

Agree with SY and others. 12AX7 is a high mu dual triode. Most of the ones I get are noisy or microphonic in preamps like the Altec 1567a. The 12AX7 was not designed to operate at the high grid impedance with a condenser mic. The 12AT7 is also a high mu triode, designed for use at VHF frequencies in some FM tuners. The 12AT7 is perhaps more "stable" than a 12AX7 but not a good choice for a condenser mic. The 12AY7/6072 is a medium mu triode. It was designed primarily for industrial use. The 12AY7/6072 is a good mic tube, proven with the AKG C12 and other condenser mics.

The 12AY7 is a current production tube (at least 1 source).

There is just a little more filament current specified for the 6072/6072A (0.175A @ 12V, 0.35A @ 6.3V; versus 0.15A @ 12V, and -0.3A @ 6.3V for the 12AY7).
Otherwise they are the same.

I have a pair of current production 12AY7s, and they work great (and they perform just like the tube manual specifications say they should).
And, I got the brand new production ones for not too much $.
Go for it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.