• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

good replacement for ECC82

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, i'll try to find the 12BH7. The goal is sonic improvement, not replacement for a dead valve.
The pinout does not need to be the same, though it would be nice that the heater voltages are 6.3v
In fact i'll probably buy a few of the models you all suggested and give each one a try.

Regards,
Tiago

fdegrove said:
Hi,
Direct equivalents are the 6189 (me no like) or 5814A (I like better), 5963 etc.,etc...

Cheers,;)

Hello, I have just bought a pair of Philips 6189 for phase splitting in my Copland CTA-501 from my supplier: www.demostenes.no
He says 6189 - Equivalent to ECC 82 and 12AU7. Manufactured by Philips ECG (=Sylvania) in US. This is a military NOS valve. Probably one of the best ECC 82 type in amplifiers such as Conrad Johnsen and others.

Since I am new to this, why don't you like 6189?

Best regards

Choices Choices

If the valve is used as a concertina phase splitter , changing the type will hardly make any difference . However if it's not I second the choice of 6SN7/7N7 which are excellent . Another type to look for would be the JJ ECC99

316a

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Since I am new to this, why don't you like 6189?

If it's for a phase splitter you probably won't notice the difference.

In Europe alot of these 6189s were used in governmental services.
Quite often they looked as if they had been entirely chromium plated and they sounded pretty metallic too with steely highs and little or no soundstage depth to speak of.

I still have to meet the first person telling me they liked the way they sound.

This is however entirely subjective so YMMV....

Cheers, ;)

Hi everyone!

My 1st post!

An over-looked tube you could try: 6GU7, Higher Gm, lower Rp,
same mu 17. May have to adjust circuit values a little. Played with a couple about twenty five years ago, as a concerta phase splitter, don't remeber how they sound. I must be getting old!

Cogs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Use E80cc instead. Made by Amperex mainly. If you find Tunsgram even better. It has about 80% more gain, uses .6A for heaters @ 6.3V and it comes in el84 style bottle. An SQ 10000 hour tube that will broaden your stage, mellow your highs and pump up your dynamics. Sonically non metallic like the US 6189s but errs to the mellow side if mixed with Mullards etc.

salas said:
Use E80cc instead. Made by Amperex mainly. If you find Tunsgram even better. It has about 80% more gain, uses .6A for heaters @ 6.3V and it comes in el84 style bottle. An SQ 10000 hour tube that will broaden your stage, mellow your highs and pump up your dynamics. Sonically non metallic like the US 6189s but errs to the mellow side if mixed with Mullards etc.

vote for E80CC, one of the best for a phase splitter in my experience...

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I have a Mullard E80CC (marked "made in Holland," so really Philips), and a (pretty similar-looking) Valvo E80CC. I believe Valvo were closely associated with Siemens. Comments?

For starters, an ECC82 has got nothing to do with an E80CC and vice versa.

I have a Mullard E80CC (marked "made in Holland," so really Philips), and a (pretty similar-looking) Valvo E80CC. I believe Valvo were closely associated with Siemens. Comments?

Oh yeah, and you'll likely find ones made by TFK too, although not easily.

E80CC is a Philips valve if my info is indeed correct, so you'll find them across any Philips associate.

Siemens, OTOH hardly made any valves at all, with the possible exception of the Cca...
Types needed for their medical services.

Whatever valve they made was darn good though...That typifies Siemens policy though, when they want to, they can make a mockery of any manufacturer...
The Epcos series of caps being another example.

Unfortunately the company's policy is also to kill off the outstanding product...

They have so much cash it would make you think about who lost the war...not just that, they also freeze so much briliance that it make you wonder why you wanted to be an engineer in the first place...

Any more of this will probably get me fired...not that I care all that much anyway..........

George, here is where the WMD could well be stashed..............:angel:

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:

Get real, please before I call you all rude names...
:cannotbe:

I guess you can start by calling me a rude name as I really like the E80CC :)
(Excellent results in Nina preamp remember).

But what am I missing ... why the name calling please Frank?

Re availability:
Mullard/Philips are common; gold pins and no holes in the plates, it's Mullard/Philips whatever the label.
Tungsram are hard to find, but you sometimes find them badged as something else; I've managed to get 6 this way. Steel pins and 3 holes in the plate, it's Tungsram.

I have a moderate preference for Tungsram but could easily live with Mullard/Philips. My experience is that either type is far superior to any ECC82 I've tried (about 6 types) in just about every way.

OK Frank, what else would you suggest as a preamp valve, gain in the range 15 to 25, running at say 6 to 10mA? Need not be pin compatible.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I guess you can start by calling me a rude name as I really like the E80CC

Mike,

Don't worry, you designed using the E80CC which is ample proof that you know both the valve and the electronics.

However, the E80CC is certainly not a replacement for an ECC82/12AU7A.

Quite often it will work but 9/10 it won't work properly.

If the thread heading would have stated " What's a good alternative instead of designing yet another splitter with the 12AU7, then that would have been something quite different.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.