• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube replacements or substitution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone have a question about tubes??
I was a member of the tube design team for Western Electric in KC MO. and a few years with GE in KY. Way back in the day. Since those days. The last 4 decades My passion is tubes. If anyone wants to know the best replacement or substitution for a certain type of tube please let me know. I can also offer advice for what design is the best for the tube of interest.

Semiconductors are cool ,but Tubes are Hot!

The combination of tubes should be fine for a rock amp, I would take a look at the tone stack if this amp is supposed to be used for rock music. The tone stack determinds a lot of the "sound" of a guitar amp. Also the bias for the tubes, for a rock amp you would, as a "rule of thumb", design for some more distortion than you would for a typical country amp.

I was a member of the tube design team for Western Electric in KC MO. and a few years with GE in KY. Way back in the day. Since those days. The last 4 decades My passion is tubes. If anyone wants to know the best replacement or substitution for a certain type of tube please let me know. I can also offer advice for what design is the best for the tube of interest.

Semiconductors are cool ,but Tubes are Hot!

Do you have any WE literature you can share?

May tell us why the NOS sound that much better than the today's available brands.

While I do not like to pay for quad NOS KT88 about 2000 bugs.

Cheers

Hp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.