• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Triode/Pentode Loadline Calculator

Really nice work!! One of the best apps of Java I've ever seen - fun, cool looking, really useful!!

Would you please include 845? To do so, you'll need to increase Vmax to 1250.

another cool one to add would be the triode-strapped 813...another high voltage one, LOL, with a Vmax of 2500 ROTFL

but I'm serious, these are two tubes I am using at high voltages, and when I finish the project I'm working on and post it here, I'm sure there will be members who would like to build them and play themselves with the load lines.

BTW, some notes for some cool add-ons:

1. a CCS'd plate option, so the load line is horizontal....and....

2. Triode-strapping option for pentodes.

3. Super Triode options for paralleling triodes with Mosfets (see Tube Cad John Brosky)

OK, #3 is probably asking way too much, but #1 and #2 would be really valuable.

Thanks! Very Best, Synchro27

Thanks! 6Z9P in triode mode is a favorite. Thanks for adding 6SN7GT too. That's another favorite.

Can I request 5687? That's a great twin-triode.

BTW, I used the applet to help me optimize a 12AT7 long-tailed pair stage. I had figured the loadlines the old fashioned way, with a printout, a ruler and pencil. I was having a hard time getting everything to settle in at exactly the voltages I wanted. I used your applet to find the operating point I needed, and got very close on the first try. In other words, it worked like a charm. This thing is great. Thanks again.

--

I've just added 6N6P and ECC99 :).

Thanks again! The internal tags are brilliant, too.

--

I hope it's OK to post my wish list of triodes and triode-wired pentodes/tetrodes. How about...

12BH7 (or 12BH7A)
EL34-triode
EL84-triode (or 6BQ5-triode, essentially the same thing)
5965 (popular for use in Poinz' Musical Machine amplifier)
4P1L-triode
6V6GT-triode (popular in Salas' preamp)
6L6GC-triode

--

Last edited:
I just noticed something...

The program also tells you the estimated second-harmonic distortion for the tube at the operating point you've chosen. (Which is fantastic, btw). However, the input voltage is fixed for each tube type. I got all excited when I saw that the 6N6P was yielding much lower distortion than 5687, but then I noticed that the input (signal) voltage for the 6N6P is always 3.75V, while the 5687 input voltage is set to 5V.

Would it be a huge job to make the input voltage variable? I suppose if it was done in 1V steps, that would be good enough. (I think.)

If that's a lot to ask, I'm sure everybody would understand. It sounds like a lot of work to me...

--

First of all , thanks for the time and effort you have put in this program.:cool:

However, when I have established an operating point and subsequently change the supply voltage or the current on the left axis (the blue triangles) , the percentage H2 doesn’t change. If I pivot the loadline around the operating point it does. Is this inherent to the program?

I am afraid that the problem is connected with the schematic diagram (wrong supply voltage - 250V), not with the triode simulator. It is impossible to have high supply voltage 250V, load resistance 2K5 and anode current 60mA. Look at the manufacturer anode characteristics od 2A3. When you have only 100V on the anode (250V - 60mA*2k5 = 100V) and bias voltage -45V the anode current is much more less than 60mA.

I thing that voltage 250V should be applied directly on the anode of 2A3 (point marked with 2 on the schematic diagram), and supply voltage should be around 400V (250V + 2K5*60mA = 400V). See the attached example.

Attachments

• 2A3.gif
    2A3.gif
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,189
Last edited:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I have parameters of the 6n16b-w soviet tube, but I am not sure if these two tubes are equvalents.

Either is fine, the main difference is longevity.

Could we add other valves to our wishlist, Gregor?

Hats off for your efforts so far.:cool:

@Disco:

Don't use that stuff from De Muiderkring, it's filled with erroneous data.

Cheers, ;)

First of all , thanks for the time and effort you have put in this program.:cool:

However, when I have established an operating point and subsequently change the supply voltage or the current on the left axis (the blue triangles) , the percentage H2 doesn’t change. If I pivot the loadline around the operating point it does. Is this inherent to the program?

Thank you for your remark.
When you change the slope and at the same time the operating point (external marker) - the proportion of sectiones considered for the calculation of H2 remains constant and the result (H2) is practically the same. This allows us to automatically find the new operating point while keeping the same distortion.
When you change the slope without changing the operating point (internal marker) the lengths of sections used to calculate H2 varies and so the H2.

fdegrove: I'll add 6N16B-W on Monday. The list will be constantly replenished.

Last edited: