• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Thinking of building my first tube amp. Suitable projects?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hifi said:
http://s5electronics.com/gpage1.html

any opinions on that kit? ... Personally i´m not particullary fond of erik andersson (edison) the man is just impossibly to talk with... (he thinks he has the patent on the truth)... =(

/micke

I agree, I talked to him on the phone last week and I didn´t like him at all.

For example I asked him if I could upgrade the Edison 20 in any way (I had the opportunity to buy one cheap) and he just kept saying "My amps should be modified. If done right the first time you´d only make them worse if you modify them."

I mean, an amp that cost $500 new CAN´T be perfect!!!

/Erik

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
hifi said:

This amp is from Arizona, and i don't think has anything to do with Edison.

I saw a similar kit (can't find the ref), available in mono or stereo versions, that used 11BM8s (11V heater version of 6BM8) that would put these in the same league as the WAVE 8 monoblocs -- which need tweaking to reach their potential. The WAVE 8s are $99 USD each. The stereo 11BM8 kit was also $139, and when i 1st saw the add for the S5 Electronics amp above, i thot it was the same kit, but this one uses 11MS8s a tube i can't find much info on, but is a triode/power pentode tube like the 6BM8.

dave

I think Edison 60 is quite a good amp and it can be modified for better sound but you will not get any help from Erik A.

Why not have a look at Lynn Olson´s Amity www.aloah-audio.com To keep cost down you can substitute the 300B´s for 6550 triodes or even El34 triodes. The driver tube could be 6N1P. The Lundahl iron is easy avaliable in Sweden. For simple rectification you could use solid state diodes. The power supply caps could be Solen/SCR polyprops from Elfa www.elfa.se.

I think an amp like that would offer high end sound at a very high level without being too expensive. I have been thinking of building one myself.

Regards

A simple advice for what it is worth. Erik Andersson is a designer. By asking him to redesign or modify his own design, without even trying the amp, you must have touched a nerve. So it is natural for him to react to your attitude.

At USD500 the amp is certainly made to a price. In any amp, the overall design cannot be changed easily. This is dictated by the topology of the amp. You may be able to tweak the amp to suit your taste. This is merely changing or substituting components.

By the way, I do not know Erik Andersson. I design amps and so I am able to relate to his feelings. That is all.

Mohan

Mohan Varkey said:
A simple advice for what it is worth. Erik Andersson is a designer. By asking him to redesign or modify his own design, without even trying the amp, you must have touched a nerve. So it is natural for him to react to your attitude.

At USD500 the amp is certainly made to a price. In any amp, the overall design cannot be changed easily. This is dictated by the topology of the amp. You may be able to tweak the amp to suit your taste. This is merely changing or substituting components.

By the way, I do not know Erik Andersson. I design amps and so I am able to relate to his feelings. That is all.

Mohan

I understand what you mean but that´s not how Erik is. He considers all people who modifies his amps, no matter how much knowledge they have, to be complete idiots.

/Erik

A note on shipping rates

[You might get them cheaper closer to home and save a little money. I hope you have looked at what it cost to ship one of those things to Europe. My jaw hit the ground when I read his shipping rates. You are going to spend a third of the amp price in shipping and that alone would prohibit me from listening to one.]

Hi. I know the shipping costs are jaw-dropping, but the shipping rates are actual and reflect distance, weight and destination. For example, to Sweden, the Ella (20kg) is $59USD for surface (4 to 6 weeks), but Fedex would be ~$135USD. To the Netherlands or Canada surface is $48USD but to the USA ~$100USD. Don't ask me why. Those are official Post Office rates. However Airborne Express to USA is only $115USD for 2 day service which is the cheapest courier rate anywhere.
So, although Kevin and I would like to post shipping-included prices, these disparities make it impossible. Of course if you come to Hong Kong on vacation, I will personally deliver it to your hotel, and take you out for a coffee, no shipping charges!
Brian
;)

Re: A note on shipping rates

Brian Cherry said:

Hi. I know the shipping costs are jaw-dropping, but the shipping rates are actual and reflect distance, weight and destination. For example, to Sweden, the Ella (20kg) is $59USD for surface (4 to 6 weeks), but Fedex would be ~$135USD. To the Netherlands or Canada surface is $48USD but to the USA ~$100USD. Don't ask me why. Those are official Post Office rates. However Airborne Express to USA is only $115USD for 2 day service which is the cheapest courier rate anywhere.
So, although Kevin and I would like to post shipping-included prices, these disparities make it impossible. Of course if you come to Hong Kong on vacation, I will personally deliver it to your hotel, and take you out for a coffee, no shipping charges!
Brian
;)

So you do ship to Sweden Brian? That´s great news for me. I mean since I can´t buy it in Sweden I might as well buy it directly from you since the shipping is that low (only $59!!!).

/Erik

Erik,
I know there are a number of companies producing very high quality HiFi products in your area of the world. Please check out google.com and go to rec.audiotubes and try and contact a tube stereo Do It Yourself lover in your area. Most people that are very happy to share knowledge and possibly parts to get a new person started in this fun hobby. I have been blessed with this myself and have learned so much and been exposed to even more. Most of the guys out there listening to great sound for a small price were taught about it by some one else, and are happy to pass it on. This is a great place to get info but if you can find a mentor that will give you a bit of time when you need it. You would be surprised at how many tube audio guys are out there.

Erik,

Have you made a final decision. If you have not yet made one, then, perhaps this forum should be able to help you design your own amplifier. There is a lot of knowledge among the members of this forum. It is about time that we pooled our resources and have a common project.

A simple topology for you to consider would be the Ralph Amplifier. Look at the threads in this forum. The input stage including the driver transformer should only need minor changes. You could consider a higher dissipation tube for the output stage. I am thinking of the Russian triode 6C41C. This is a 25-30W tube and requires low anode voltage. More info at:

http://www.mclink.it/com/audiomatica/tubes/6c41.htm

You could also consider a solid state bridge rectifier for the power supply.

I know that this project may exceed your budget. But you are going to order components as you need them. What do you think?

Mohan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.