Thinking of building my first tube amp. Suitable projects? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2002, 05:32 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Erik Johansson
Quote:
Originally posted by hifi
http://s5electronics.com/gpage1.html

any opinions on that kit? ... Personally iīm not particullary fond of erik andersson (edison) the man is just impossibly to talk with... (he thinks he has the patent on the truth)... =(

/micke
I agree, I talked to him on the phone last week and I didnīt like him at all.

For example I asked him if I could upgrade the Edison 20 in any way (I had the opportunity to buy one cheap) and he just kept saying "My amps should be modified. If done right the first time youīd only make them worse if you modify them."

I mean, an amp that cost $500 new CANīT be perfect!!!

/Erik
Old 25th March 2002, 05:40 PM   #42
PedroPO is offline PedroPO  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to PedroPO
I'm not a expert on that subject, but I agree with Erik.
The output transformers (decent opnes) should cost a lot more than $139 and that's the price for the whole kit!!

Try www.audionote.co.uk kits 1 and 4

pedropo
Old 25th March 2002, 06:39 PM   #43
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hifi
http://s5electronics.com/gpage1.html

any opinions on that kit?
This amp is from Arizona, and i don't think has anything to do with Edison.

I saw a similar kit (can't find the ref), available in mono or stereo versions, that used 11BM8s (11V heater version of 6BM8) that would put these in the same league as the WAVE 8 monoblocs -- which need tweaking to reach their potential. The WAVE 8s are $99 USD each. The stereo 11BM8 kit was also $139, and when i 1st saw the add for the S5 Electronics amp above, i thot it was the same kit, but this one uses 11MS8s a tube i can't find much info on, but is a triode/power pentode tube like the 6BM8.

dave
Old 27th March 2002, 08:00 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

I think Edison 60 is quite a good amp and it can be modified for better sound but you will not get any help from Erik A.

Why not have a look at Lynn Olsonīs Amity www.aloah-audio.com To keep cost down you can substitute the 300Bīs for 6550 triodes or even El34 triodes. The driver tube could be 6N1P. The Lundahl iron is easy avaliable in Sweden. For simple rectification you could use solid state diodes. The power supply caps could be Solen/SCR polyprops from Elfa www.elfa.se.

I think an amp like that would offer high end sound at a very high level without being too expensive. I have been thinking of building one myself.

Regards
Old 27th March 2002, 09:44 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

A simple advice for what it is worth. Erik Andersson is a designer. By asking him to redesign or modify his own design, without even trying the amp, you must have touched a nerve. So it is natural for him to react to your attitude.

At USD500 the amp is certainly made to a price. In any amp, the overall design cannot be changed easily. This is dictated by the topology of the amp. You may be able to tweak the amp to suit your taste. This is merely changing or substituting components.

By the way, I do not know Erik Andersson. I design amps and so I am able to relate to his feelings. That is all.

Mohan
Old 27th March 2002, 11:42 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mohan Varkey
A simple advice for what it is worth. Erik Andersson is a designer. By asking him to redesign or modify his own design, without even trying the amp, you must have touched a nerve. So it is natural for him to react to your attitude.

At USD500 the amp is certainly made to a price. In any amp, the overall design cannot be changed easily. This is dictated by the topology of the amp. You may be able to tweak the amp to suit your taste. This is merely changing or substituting components.

By the way, I do not know Erik Andersson. I design amps and so I am able to relate to his feelings. That is all.

Mohan
I understand what you mean but thatīs not how Erik is. He considers all people who modifies his amps, no matter how much knowledge they have, to be complete idiots.

/Erik
Old 30th March 2002, 03:52 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Default A note on shipping rates

Quote:
[You might get them cheaper closer to home and save a little money. I hope you have looked at what it cost to ship one of those things to Europe. My jaw hit the ground when I read his shipping rates. You are going to spend a third of the amp price in shipping and that alone would prohibit me from listening to one.]
Hi. I know the shipping costs are jaw-dropping, but the shipping rates are actual and reflect distance, weight and destination. For example, to Sweden, the Ella (20kg) is $59USD for surface (4 to 6 weeks), but Fedex would be ~$135USD. To the Netherlands or Canada surface is $48USD but to the USA ~$100USD. Don't ask me why. Those are official Post Office rates. However Airborne Express to USA is only $115USD for 2 day service which is the cheapest courier rate anywhere.
So, although Kevin and I would like to post shipping-included prices, these disparities make it impossible. Of course if you come to Hong Kong on vacation, I will personally deliver it to your hotel, and take you out for a coffee, no shipping charges!
Brian
Old 1st April 2002, 09:01 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Default Re: A note on shipping rates

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Cherry

Hi. I know the shipping costs are jaw-dropping, but the shipping rates are actual and reflect distance, weight and destination. For example, to Sweden, the Ella (20kg) is $59USD for surface (4 to 6 weeks), but Fedex would be ~$135USD. To the Netherlands or Canada surface is $48USD but to the USA ~$100USD. Don't ask me why. Those are official Post Office rates. However Airborne Express to USA is only $115USD for 2 day service which is the cheapest courier rate anywhere.
So, although Kevin and I would like to post shipping-included prices, these disparities make it impossible. Of course if you come to Hong Kong on vacation, I will personally deliver it to your hotel, and take you out for a coffee, no shipping charges!
Brian
So you do ship to Sweden Brian? Thatīs great news for me. I mean since I canīt buy it in Sweden I might as well buy it directly from you since the shipping is that low (only $59!!!).

/Erik
Old 1st April 2002, 03:26 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Default Cheaper tubes in Scandinavia

Try visiting

www.demostenes.no

I had a look at the link offered here, to the store in Sweden, and it would appear that the Swedish show is about 50-100% more expensive.
Old 2nd April 2002, 03:37 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Cheaper tubes in Scandinavia

Quote:
Originally posted by suiram
Try visiting

www.demostenes.no

I had a look at the link offered here, to the store in Sweden, and it would appear that the Swedish show is about 50-100% more expensive.
Thanks a lot for the link.

/Erik

Hide this!Advertise here!