• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Decent Valve Amp Kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a newbie here and looking to build a decent valve amp. Have looked into the following:

Velleman K4040 ( not very good comments here)
Ella
KaT6550 from World Audio

My thoughts are to ressurect my Carver C-1 preamp and run my Klipschorns in a newly designed basement.

Am familiar with kit building -- Devry graduate and am restoring my fathers old Heatkit W5M now to drive a Jensen Imperial sepaker for the "old school" look in the basement.

Your thoughts / comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Are your Klipschorns quite efficient?

Dunno, last time I checked any speaker by Paul Klipsch is between 92dB/W and over 100 dBW...

The Klipschorns veering towards the most efficient...So efficient in fact that they could break 10 liter glass bottles in my dad's cellar while the speakers were sitting in the loft...

All that in a concrete and brick house, two stories high and 50m wide...

That's efficient in my book even though my dad wasn't too happy about it at the time....:smash:

Didn't take more than a Watt or two...;)

P.S. My KHs usec a 38 cm boomer, not a 17 cm one...:D

If you are indeed looking for an amp to use with horn speakers, why would you want a high-powered PP amp?

I don't have horn speakers, but the 3W or so I get from my 2A3 SE amp is more than enough. So if I were you, I would look for an SE 2A3 or 300B amp.

And why the kit? You could easily just buy the parts and make your own.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.