• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which KT88??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If u dont have budget limit, Gold Lion (Genelax) is the choice.

But if u need to consider the price, China made GECKT88 from shuguang (not expensive and they simulate the design from GEC)

There is another tube name CV8286 (with top cap) which is GEC made equivalent to KT88 BUT u need to make some modification on your amp.:smash:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

IIRC, this amp originally used EL34/6CA7s?

Yeah...kind of the monoblock version of it.

I'd fit the 6CA7.

If u dont have budget limit, Gold Lion (Genelax) is the choice.

Yeah....Show one that's actually a real one.

Oh...and I'd still not part with my money anyway.....

Wait a minute...the entire world if a fraud, isn't it?

Scam, scam and scam....:smash:

:cool:

Real Expensive stuff:D

Attachments

• kt88_goldlion_box_2.jpg
    kt88_goldlion_box_2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,017
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

What is the best amplifier? All depends.........

Certainly...

While it's good to see you obviously know what are fine tubes, I hate to see the disappointment on your face when you need to replace them...

Sadly, I can't replace a ECC83 TFK for you with a current production type but thanks to plotters I found work arounds...

What I'm saying is that when you know your tube you can design with it or against it, it's mostly a matter of adapting the cooking pots really.

There are still some great tubes out there, some even better than the ones we knew 30 years ago and that's where I'd be spending my money on...Today.

Cheers,;)

Sorry for the delay, I mean I haven't got /any/ spare parts :p

I could help out in wiring and possibly gauging wire for jobs, I'm no good at construction for free or woodwork...

Sorry it's just that many locals have asked for freebies in the past and I don't want to sell anything. I'm a collector nothing more.

Besides you'll be okay if you keep away from holding the chassis while tightening up a cap terminal with a short screwdriver or using soldering irons with a steel envelope or loose wiring.

And never cut out the tranny (no magnetic isolation) or take off it's plastic protection.

Sorry i'm just turning 20 and if anyone comes here for electronic help i'll turn them away because as other people here in this forum want or anyone else, cept for maybe lawyers, is someone dying on my/your advice.

Anyway, I would LOVE to hear your amp when it's complete if you ever have the courage to drive here, hehe.

I purchased Sovtek KT88's to replace Svetlana 6550C's in my amplifier. I couldn't be happier.

I also purchased a quad of Electro Harmonix 7591A tubes for my old HH Scott model 299C. I am thrilled with the EH tubes.
The old 299C is performing better than it did nearly forty years ago.

Of the four original Svetlana 6550C tubes that I installed in my amplifier, two failed completely within twelve months. The other two wouldn't meet specs from the very first day. These two required more bias voltage than the other tubes.

I am very happy with my Sovtek KT88 tubes. I adjusted the bias when I installed the tubes and have not re-adjusted in the two years that they have been in my amplifier.

I'd like to hear some reports on the Electro Harmonix KT88 (6550A) tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.