• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which KT88??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Talking to me?

FD, are you asking me? If so, I have had good success with the SED KT88s, do my designing around them of course. Haven't had the plates turn red, but then maybe I just happened to get some bad ones. Have you had problems, or heard of others having problems?
I talked to the people representing these tubes and they say all is well with their KT88 design, which so far seems to be the case.

I have some old Sylvania 6550s, I believe the brand is correct, and they also turned cherry, I believe around 32 watt plate dissapation.

I asked about if there are any financial problems at the St. Petersburg facility but they said all is ok. Have you heard anything more on their situation from your end?

Haven't tested the KT90s, which would you recommend me trying for testing?

Take care FD and have a great week.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

FD, are you asking me?

Yes, Steve..Please do call me Frank...It's much cosier...;)

I have had good success with the SED KT88s,

Which are ...errrr..Svetlanas.

I asked about if there are any financial problems at the St. Petersburg facility but they said all is ok. Have you heard anything more on their situation from your end?

Ahhh..If only this boy could talk...This is sensitive material, none of which I should talk about on the internet.

Let's just say that I hope that Svetlana can survive their silly US adventure....

Haven't tested the KT90s, which would you recommend me trying for testing?

I suggest you'd try some ex Yugo ones, they're supposedly good.

Looking forward to further improvement of current 6550s...In the meantime I probably better shut my mouth.....

Don't worry, I'll be accused of talking cryptic language again...

Anyway, you know where to find me...

Cheers, ;)

Hi Frank

Hi Frank.

"Which are ...errrr..Svetlanas."

Well, we call them SEDs, legally in the USA, but they are manufactured in St. Petersburg.
From my understanding, New Sensor purchase the rights to the name "Svetlana" but the tube is not manufactured in St. Petersburg. I noticed the Svetlana KT88 now has only one "ring" getter above the plates, while the SED KT88 from St. Petersburg has two.

I haven't seen that name, Yugo, for some time.

Thanks.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

From my understanding, New Sensor purchase the rights to the name "Svetlana" but the tube is not manufactured in St. Petersburg. I noticed the Svetlana KT88 now has only one "ring" getter above the plates, while the SED KT88 from St. Petersburg has two.

As they would say in your country; you're as confused as a barking bird.

Nevermind...It does get confusing but don't mix Svetlana and Sovtek.

Cheers,;)

Personally, I think each manufacturer will have good stuff on certain period (Just like redwine!!!)

For Svetlana, KT88, EL34 (NOS) is quite reliable and good sound.

Even I tell u Shuguang has got good tubes but really depends on which model do u select. For example 300B shuguang has got A, B and C grade.....300B-C, 300B-B, 300B-A. 300B-98.....:cool:

Rgds,
Red

Anyone heared of things about the "Groove Tubes" brand?

They have kinky coke bottle rectifier style tubes and I would love to have that in any of my 6550/KT88 sets...

Primary concerns are voltage abilities, will these things go well at 500 odd volts like any normal KT88?

I've noticed with tdsl's record of "6550" they have the same ratings of 6L6's, about 350-400v...

Makes me worry as these tubes have 6550 printed on the side of the very large tubes :p

What they sound like is as important. I'm after clarity and wide range of 'flat' response.

Cheers.

Hmm okay, so they're another re-labler

Groove Tubes is not a tube manufacturer, which is why we don't carry their products. Neither, for that matter, do Fender, Ruby Tubes and a host of other companies manufacture tubes. All these companies buy tubes from the same people we do: the companies who actually build tubes, such as Sovtek, Svetlana, and Tesla and then they relabel them with their logo.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

So which ones!?

From current production and no particular order of preference:

JJ (formerly Tesla), Sovtek (Reflektor factory), Svetlana (C or SED in the US).

I don't know what is available in Australia or what your relationship is whith vendors but I usually only buy from people I know to have a good reputation and service.

Hopefully some of your countrymen can give you advise on this.

Hi Rich,

Cio......Frank....are you sure about Tesla Vrsovice non-exist ? they still make certif' KT88's......

To the best of my knowledge Tesla changed their name into JJ Electronics when Tchekoslawkia split up into two separate republics.

Other than NOS Tesla, I haven't seen a single tube from them since.

The address you gave is the one near Prague.

JJ are in Cadca in the Slovak republic, the old Vrsovice plant was moved to there.

JJ ELECTRONIC - Slovak republic
A. Hlinku 4
02201 Cadca
Slovak republic
tel: +421/41/4335369
fax: +421/41/4335370

Cheers,;)

Hi Frank......I can understand the Svets's/Sovtek/EH/....same endless list of Gung Ho tubes with re-marketted logo's all made under one large roof.....Can anyone really say that Svet's are better than Sov'ks and vice-versa ? It's pretty groundless....

The US Svet website been extinct for some time and factory ceased.
I know that Chelmer valve (UK) markets JJ tubes amongst others. However, there seems to be an awful lot of distributors in tube re-marketing, and I wonder who's not dishonest in this game of re-branding. My distributor knows if he gets it wrong for me.......but they all must be making a juicy mark-up. It's seems worse than the used car trade in........

Ignoring the Chinese take-aways........there seems only a couple of independent players left....EI as 1.. Anyone else worth a cue ??

rich

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The US Svet website been extinct for some time and factory ceased.

Not the factory...just Svetlana Inc U.S. Not susrprisingly when you see the luxiury they were bathing in.

Inch thick carpets, BMWs for even the hublest workers, etc, etc.

The Svetlana factory in former USSR is still alive to the best of my knowledge but as they say in French; "Ca bat de l'aille", meaning they're not doing too well.

However, there seems to be an awful lot of distributors in tube re-marketing, and I wonder who's not dishonest in this game of re-branding.

High mark ups and rebranding of factory bought tubes doesn't necessarilly make those companies "dishonnest" in any way.
If they give you good quality and service and you're willing to support that concept, why not?

If you have the buying power to order from factory agencies and throw out 20 to 30% of what you buy, I doubt you'd be making money.

For every type you use in production you'll need to buy at least a thousand each...
My bank didn't support the idea and I can see why.

However, if they don't give you added value such as quality and warranty, then yes it does look like just making a quick buck.

Fortunately, scam like that don't last too long before they're exposed.

Oh, BTW, while I still have the link up, here's Jamona:

JJ

I can give you Tesla too if you're into Kw broadcast valves.

Cheers,;)

Hi Frank.......Yes interesting JJ ..."glowing fasade"........I knew about RRoyce treatment the Svet US div got.....I wonder who's the volume manufacturer making all those 6L6's, 6V6's,5881 etc, used mainly used for all the US Boogie guitar amps. (Predictable answer I suppose)
Someone mentioned to me why not try wide glass EL34's ?
As for Xmitting tubes......big market satellite coms but no longer my domain.

rdgs rich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.