Valve cruelty ... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #1
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Valve cruelty ...

What's audio if you can't have a bit of fun ... and learn something as well?

An interesting 'experiment' I came across ... http://home.comcast.net/~jafix/torture.html ...
Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Try that with an 813, it has a carbon anode and I accidentaly imploded the glass when my Class C single ended transmitting output stage went to class A by mistake and continued to transmit for half an hour. With 900Volts on the anode at almost 500mA supply current. All got very hot and I dread to think of the stray harmonics knocking out TV and Radio for a few hundred yards all around. It eventually died when the air got in there are killed the heaters arcing over and taking the HT fuses.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I find this kind of behavior, uh...completely normal, in fact somewhat lame....You haven't tortured a tube until you have melted a few. /

Can you melt a hole through the plate of a tube, have it emit a blue ray of death, and then pop it into a tube tester to find it still alive? Yes, and the voltage drop at rated current was still in spec too. So what to you do? Turn it up some more!!!

A gassy 6V6GT becoming more gassy. This one blew up the SSE (cathode resistor and cap).

A 6CB5 just running a wee bit above the dissipation spec in an SSE. Yes, it does sound quite good.

A pair of 6BQ6GA's operating beyond the red glow zone....into the white glow zone. You could feel the IR radiation across the room. The amp sounded quite good, and played for about 45 minutes until I shut it off. The tubes didn't work so well when I turned it on the next day though.

An 833A operating WITHIN its maximum ratings.....the glow is NORMAL.

A 211 that I got for $5. It blew up the amp!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BluRay.jpg (103.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Plasma.jpg (101.2 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Tube_1C.jpg (189.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 6CB5_cranked_b.jpg (64.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 6BQ6GA_cranked.jpg (279.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 833A_maxed.jpg (356.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Blue_211.jpg (172.8 KB, 49 views)
Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Tube got hammered.

Tube concussion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_35lr6_001.jpg (51.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 9KC6_g3mod.jpg (5.4 KB, 89 views)
Old Today, 01:45 AM   #5
Matt BH is offline Matt BH  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The "white glow zone" I love it George!!

They must have been out-gassing big time! Not surprised they didn't sound so good after. Should have kept em hot and kept em glowin😃

Cheers
Matt.
Old Today, 01:50 AM   #6
Matt BH is offline Matt BH  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The "white glow zone" I love it George!!

They must have been out-gassing big time! Not surprised they didn't sound so good after. Should have kept em hot and kept em glowin😃

Cheers
Matt.
Old Today, 02:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Way back in my childhood I figured out that the TV sweep tubes (line output) 6BQ6 and 6DQ6 have the same pinout as the common audio tubes like the 6L6GC and 6V6GT if you wire a plate cap to pin 3 of the socket. This led me to sticking them into a Fender Champ. At the time I didn't understand things like impedance or bias, so I didn't understand why the little tubes (6BQ6) were louder that the big ones (6DQ6). It took ma several months, but those and other experiments eventually let the smoke out of the Champ's power transformer.

I was about 10 years old at the time, but within a few years I was scratch building "Champs" out of TV tubes. As you can see the madness continues 50 years later. I stuck some 6BQ6GA's into an SSE and proceeded to explore their upper limits.....I have several hundred of them, so I "tested" some of the uglier looking tubes.

I was getting about 20 watts out of those before they fried in that SE amp. I have extracted about 100 watts from a pair in P-P without any glow! In fact I have an amp design in the works that gets about 125 watts per channel from 13GB5/XL500's.

Sometimes you just have to fry a few tubes in order to figure out how not to.

Hide this!Advertise here!