SE Output Transformers - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2004, 12:18 AM   #31
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
I have heard support for AE too, they have the best prices I've seen for Amorphous cores, would love to try them in a 300b design!
You won't be disappointed, they're excellent as a few members can testify.

Cheers,
Old 17th January 2004, 02:23 PM   #32
Jose R is offline Jose R  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Amorphous C-Core Transformers

On the subject of amorphous c-cores, I would highly recommend Tribute. I use them in my 300B amp. Pieter Truinet, the master winder, is very accessible through e-mail, and will custom-wind to your specific needs. The quality of workmanship is exceptional and all chokes and transformers are potted. A big plus.

Lundahl makes beautifully constructed c-core transformers and chokes, but they're unpotted.

Jack Eliano at Electraprint is another master winder, and amp designer, who is also very accessible through e-mail and the phone. He will also custom-wind to your specs.

Because of affordability, performance, quality of construction, and availability I would recommend all three.

I should also mention Bartolucci. I use a pair of their power supply chokes in my amp. Again, build quality is exceptional.

The great thing about Jack and Pieter is that you can actually talk to the designers themselves and bounce off ideas of your amp design and they will give you positive feedback and suggestions.
Old 19th January 2004, 10:52 AM   #33
Mike C is offline Mike C  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default One point about Lundahl ...

Lundahl OPTs are configurable for different output impedances, and in a well engineered way I believe.

However you configure them, all the windings are always used, to prevent there being open ended bits of windings left hanging that, I believe, may degrade performance.

I don't think there are any duffers among the many mentioned in this thread. I guess that Lundahl are among the very best and will take a hell of a lot of beating; but if anything is going to do so, I'd speculate that the amorphous core Dutch ones are one of the very few that just might ....

However, all those mentioned here are so good that the differences will easily be swamped by differences in driver stage and power supply!
All IMHO of course.

Hide this!Advertise here!