SE Output Transformers - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2004, 07:21 AM   #21
DVDHack is offline DVDHack  Australia
diyAudio Member

Well I'm certainly no 300B snob - especially given that three weeks ago I didn't know any such beast exists. All I knew was EL34s and 6L6s and that was from my guitar days.

I selected the 300Bs because so many sites seem to support them and there is so much being done with them - so I thought for a new boy I would find more support.

Perhaps I'll post another thread on what valves - god help me.
Old 15th January 2004, 07:26 AM   #22
Raka is offline Raka  Europe
diyAudio Member

I take the opportunity to ask you, tube masters, about the trannies.
Lately I've found that I can build my own transformers, as I have the magnetic sheet, the enameled wire and some books on trannie design (standard ones). Could someone point out some tips about features required for this kind of output transformers? any web?
Thanks.
Old 15th January 2004, 08:15 AM   #23
angel is offline angel  Norway
diyAudio Member

While I would not recommend winding your own transformers, considering safety regulations and all that, I do believe Google should be able to turn up a few references on the subject.

If not, give me a private message, and I'll see if I can dig up a few book references that I had lying about a little while ago.
Old 15th January 2004, 05:33 PM   #24
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,

No they don't...They just look like any nude xformer.

The savings of NOT potting them are passed on to you, including the potential of a better sounding OPT.

Nothing against Sowter but....

Cheers,
yep, I've used sowter, the trannies sound great, but I do feel the range of options including the range of cores is a bit limited. I think lundahl use C cores, and these are supposed to be superior to EI types.

I have heard support for AE too, they have the best prices I've seen for Amorphous cores, would love to try them in a 300b design!

Thanks
Raja
Old 15th January 2004, 09:49 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DVDHack
I selected the 300Bs because so many sites seem to support them and there is so much being done with them - so I thought for a new boy I would find more support.
There's lots of people building 300B amps, but I don't see why that would mean you'd get more "support" building a 300B SE, or a R. Power 2A3 PP or a Dyna ST35 variant or ........

Actually building a published design isn't that hard and any questions on faults or difficulties in construction would probably be answered by the same bunch of people here irrespective of the design as most are common things such as hum or grounding.

Besides, suppose you chose to build a JE or an F&B 300B SE, everyone buiilds theirs differently so unless you copy someone else's implementation, you're on your own to an extent anyway.

I'd suggest as a beginner tube project, you don't build a 300B. Quality tubes are too expensive.
Old 15th January 2004, 10:09 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Electraprints?

Was wondering how the electraprints stack up to some other brands mentioned?
Old 16th January 2004, 08:43 PM   #27
DVDHack is offline DVDHack  Australia
diyAudio Member

So can anyone with a bit of experience across multiple transformer sets rank them in terms of perceived quality?

Should the Chokes be from the same manufacturer?

Thanks Again

Ralf
Old 16th January 2004, 11:07 PM   #28
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Should the Chokes be from the same manufacturer?
Plate chokes or PS chokes?

Either way they do not have to be from the same manufacturer at all.

Why should they, after all....

Quote:
So can anyone with a bit of experience across multiple transformer sets rank them in terms of perceived quality?
If ever you meet someone having experience with all currently manufactured OPTs, let us know....

Cheers,
Old 17th January 2004, 12:11 AM   #29
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabevee
One Electron. Model UBT-3.

Far superior to the Hammond for the same price.

Very clean and linear response. Very lifelike. Very sweet.
I guess I should get them installed in my amp... I bought a pair when they were on sale.

They may be better than the B&O transformers I use now

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Old 17th January 2004, 12:15 AM   #30
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Raka
Lately I've found that I can build my own transformers, as I have the magnetic sheet, the enameled wire and some books on trannie design (standard ones). Could someone point out some tips about features required for this kind of output transformers? any web?
Thanks.
I have a bit of imformation here: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/

It's from an old German book and a German magazine. I have never wound any myself, but I guess the formulas should work. At least the power transformer formulas from the same book work nicely...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Hide this!Advertise here!