SE Output Transformers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2004, 05:54 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default What about..

Wondering what you guys thought about Electraprint? Hadn't heard it mentioned so is it out of favor?

Thanks.
Old 14th January 2004, 09:01 PM   #12
DVDHack is offline DVDHack  Australia
diyAudio Member

Tamura sell for $1600US at Angela while Tango are $600, is the difference warranted? Is price a good indicator between brands?

So far Sowter appear to have great support.

Seems Tubes are earsier - everyone says the WE are the best - what ever that means.

At this stage I'm leaning toward Sowter or Lumdahl due to the support here. I am also considering Black Art here in Australia. I've emailed the guy from Black Art to send me a phone number to contact him on but he hasn't responded in a few days. But it is that time of year - if he doesn't respond then I probably don't want to deal with him anyway.

Thanks for all your help

Ralf
Old 14th January 2004, 09:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

One Electron. Model UBT-3.

Far superior to the Hammond for the same price.

Only available from Antique Electronic Supply

http://www.tubesandmore.com

It is what I use in my kits.

Specs? <10 Hz to >40KHz. Very clean and linear response. Very lifelike. Very sweet. The 300B/OE combo is astonishing. I also used the Hammond for testing. Hammond sounded sweet, but not quite as open. Hammonds sounded kind of dark. OE just right.

Gabe
Old 14th January 2004, 09:45 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DVDHack
Tamura sell for $1600US at Angela while Tango are $600, is the difference warranted? Is price a good indicator between brands?

So far Sowter appear to have great support.

Seems Tubes are earsier - everyone says the WE are the best - what ever that means.

At this stage I'm leaning toward Sowter or Lumdahl due to the support here. I am also considering Black Art here in Australia. I've emailed the guy from Black Art to send me a phone number to contact him on but he hasn't responded in a few days. But it is that time of year - if he doesn't respond then I probably don't want to deal with him anyway.

Thanks for all your help

Ralf
Have you seen a Lundahl-trannie? I'm sure they sound great, but compared to sowter they look like crap. I live in sweden but i still went with sowter. I'm going to try and goldplate the shield-plates on my transformers. Got inspired by electraprint
Old 14th January 2004, 11:26 PM   #15
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
I'm sure they sound great, but compared to sowter they look like crap.
No they don't...They just look like any nude xformer.

The savings of NOT potting them are passed on to you, including the potential of a better sounding OPT.

Nothing against Sowter but....

Cheers,
Old 15th January 2004, 01:09 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to redwine1118
Hi,

How about James Audio Transformer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg james.jpg (32.3 KB, 616 views)
Old 15th January 2004, 02:48 AM   #17
angel is offline angel  Norway
diyAudio Member

Most who have tried the Lundahl transformers, appear to be very satisfied with them.

I also seem to recall that Andrea Cuifolli (?) uses them exclusively, and that the Lundahl site has some construction ideas based on their trannies, developed by the recording/mixing/mastering guy at the music conservatorium at a Danish university, and used as his reference when mastering.

You might want to consider using a SV572-3 instead of the 300B (my asbestos is ready ). With a 5k:8 transformer from Lundahl, rated at 25W (the SV572-3 will generate 24W single ended), you would have a pretty darn good match.

And, yes, I have heard both the SV572-3 and the 300B used in successful constructions. I found the SV572-3 to be truer to the source, while the 300B has more of the 'doris day filter' effect that so many valve enthusiasts seem to go for.

(And, yes, I consider myself a valve enthusiast, I just happen to be in the camp that considers neutrality the goal, with valves just being a convenient way to approach that goal from the 'pleasing' end of the spectrum, rather than the 'harsh' end of the spectrum.)

As far as "typical" valve sound goes, it is worth pointing out that SE (or valves, for that matter) is not the only way to acheive it. For example, Electrocompaniet, are famous for their valve-like mids, despite using balanced symmetric push-pull transistor amplifiers.
Old 15th January 2004, 03:04 AM   #18
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
(And, yes, I consider myself a valve enthusiast, I just happen to be in the camp that considers neutrality the goal, with valves just being a convenient way to approach that goal from the 'pleasing' end of the spectrum, rather than the 'harsh' end of the spectrum.)
Printed it an put it on the wall...Much better than a 2004 commercial calendar...

Quote:
For example, Electrocompaniet, are famous for their valve-like mids, despite using balanced symmetric push-pull transistor amplifiers.
Eeeek...Maybe they've improved but the EC1 was a sorry excuse for a soundstage...
Somehow reminded me of TL's tunnel effect and worse...

Cheers,
Old 15th January 2004, 03:52 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi, fdegrove.

I'm glad we agree as far as 'valve sound' is concerned. I get very frustrated by the fact that there are two distinct camps in the valve community, that appear to consider themselves a coherent whole, and more relevantly, by the fact that most reviews tend to be from a listener in one of the camps, disregarding the fact that the people in the other camp are not looking for the same thing.

Perhaps some term needs to be coined, referring to the magic of valves when used to produce neutral sound, as opposed to the so called 'valve sound', a term often used to refer to sound that is anything but neutral, frequently resulting from using nonlinear valves at nonideal operating points with substandard output trannies.

How about 'valve fidelity' ?

Anyway, as to the Electrocompaniet amplifiers, I was not referring to the soundstage, but rather the tonal balance and midrange lucidity.

And, no, I am not one of their proponents, just stating what I've seen people say about them in the hifi press. For the price, they deliver sensible goods, but I think the tonal balance of their entry level amplifiers is a bit too much off, and the sound stage becomes a bit too onedimensional for my taste. Can't exactly call them bad, though, considering the price. I have no experience with their high end products, though, so I cannot contribute any opinions of my own there.

Certainly, the EC1 is not a contender for the high end. However, I hear the Nemo (600W monoblock) is one of the most neutral power stages around. Stereophile, as usual, gave it rather high praise.

The CD player seemed nice, though, last time I listened to it.

On a side note, the Nemo was originally prototyped under the name 'Enigma', in possibly the coolest enclosure I've ever seen. It was a cube in clear aluminum, with the top having the raised, crisscrossing grooves you typically see used for traction on industrial stairs or trucks. And there was a sunken-in, rounded triangle on the front, ending in black acrylic with the characteristic 'E' on it. Weighed a bunch, generated tons of heat, and output a kilowatt or so with high bias.
Old 15th January 2004, 07:34 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Just a small question before we return to the regularly scheduled programme, and end my threadjacking...

What are the chances of seperating the tubes forum along this axis of "neutral" vs "romantic" sound? It might do all of us a lot of good, I think.

Hide this!Advertise here!