Need VTVM repairs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2014, 05:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need VTVM repairs

I have too many projects but don't want to part with any LOL. I need help getting some items fixed!

First off, I need my meters! I have 3 Simpson model 213 VTVMs with the really large meter. They are in unknown condition, and need to be reconditioned for a reasonable charge, or turned into two reliable ones. The probe connector (like a miniature microphone connector) is nearly unobtainable from what I understand. I think I have only one complete probe with the switchable resistor inside the probe, and I think that one is cracked. At one time about 3 years back 2 worked and one came from ebay without a power cord. I'd be OK with soldering probe wires directly to the connector. I'd be OK with another connector at the probe end of the wire and multiple probes with and without the internal resistor. Batteries in unknown condition. I think one needs a power cord!

I could dive into fixing these, but the truth is that I have SO many more projects I'd rather pay someone to get them reliable again and work on something else myself. But I just moved and pulled them from storage and now I need to use them in order to finish some other projects! I'd want some kind of shielded-wire probes for the ones that are missing, as I want to be able to use all 3 meters at once.

I also have an old Triplett VOM (no vacuum tube, just a simpler meter) that I damaged 40 years ago when I was in college. I blew out something by putting it on the wrong scale..I can't remember the details. But it's a nice ruggedized Triplett in a roll-top portable case and has the matching amp-clamp. In the current-measuring (bridge) mode, like with the amp-clamp, it still works fine. So I didn't blow the meter itself. I can't remember whether it doesn't work only on AC or fails on AC or DC?? But I suspect it's some simple resistor or diode.

Anyone able and willing to do this work, or can anyone refer me to someplace that will?
Old 25th June 2014, 05:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think I found a place to repair the Triplett VOM.
VOM Repair & Calibration

But they don't work on VTVMs.
Old 25th June 2014, 05:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

IMS Distributor of Meters, Instruments

Try this guy. He works on the 260 for sure. I am not sure about the VTVM. I believe you are talking about the 312 meter not the 213 btw!
Old 27th June 2014, 02:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have 7 VTVM's that I restored (somewhat). The big problem is the precision resistors. Even is just one goes off by a small fraction, the "range" goes off and the voltage readings are not accurate. Getting the exact resistor is near impossible. I still use them but when I want an accurate reading, I pull out the DVM.
Old 28th June 2014, 08:58 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have never had a problem getting precision resistors. Just have to order them!
Old 28th June 2014, 12:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The connector is an MC1F. I didn't realize they were getting rare. Of course eBay will have them.
Old 28th June 2014, 10:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

twbranch,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to order but I can find a source. Would you be so kind as to check with your suppliers and ask if they can supply the following....all 1 % or better 21.6 k - 68.4 k - 2.162 m - 6.838 m.
If they can please tell me the source.
thanks again.

Bruce
Old 28th June 2014, 10:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucetassin View Post
twbranch,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to order but I can find a source. Would you be so kind as to check with your suppliers and ask if they can supply the following....all 1 % or better 21.6 k - 68.4 k - 2.162 m - 6.838 m.
If they can please tell me the source.
thanks again.

Bruce
21.5K 68.2K 2.15M 6.81M are the standard values. All within 1% of your target values. If you are worried then get them in .1% and they will certainly be within design values.

Hide this!Advertise here!