• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Golden Dragon Tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought 8 matched Golden Dragon EL34's for a Vellemen amp and they sounded great (MUCH better than the Sovteks that it came with), however they were not very reliable. In just 1 month 2 had gone shorted and took out cathode resisters and even though they were in warranty I never was able to get them to replace them so I'd never buy that brand again.

Dave

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I want to know the general comment of the brand name "Golden Dragon".

Made by the Chinese Shuguang factory for PM Components in the U.K.

I don't know if rhey're any good now but the first 10 years of production I've known them made them a very bad rep.

They did sound weird and weren't reliable at all.

Way back then the Tesla were the EL34 of choice, a lot of those were actually made for Mullard too.

Cheers,;)

Hi there. comment approp....Golden Dragon.... this also involves(d) KT88's.....I've got cardboard tube boxes left made by Shugang but the tubes didn't last long on MI applications.
Despite various trade names given to mark up i.e same (MOV) Gold Lion standard, Golden Dragon etc in pretty stylish cardboard boxes; in reality these Chinese made tubes could not survive the same shock given to a domestic light bulb. Electrically the anode plates were often poorly spot welded and would <ping open>.
I may be < a bull in a china shop > with my electronics, but, 7/10 KT88's didn't make it.

This also concerns IO valve holders...another bone to pick.

:)rich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.