• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My SE 46 tube monoblocks project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Those amps look beautiful, the vintage/industrial look attractive. The OT is Electra print, isn't it? I have built 2 SE 45 sets based on Gordon Rankin's Baby Ongaku with Electra print transformers. They sound very nice. Please comment on the sound of 46 tube and compare it with 45 tube.

Cheer!

Binh

Those amps look beautiful, the vintage/industrial look attractive. The OT is Electra print, isn't it? I have built 2 SE 45 sets based on Gordon Rankin's Baby Ongaku with Electra print transformers. They sound very nice. Please comment on the sound of 46 tube and compare it with 45 tube.

Cheer!

Binh

Hi Binh, and thanks for the kind words. It sounds like you and I might have a lot to talk about... I have parts here for Baby O amps, as well. :)

Yes, the outputs are Electraprint. I've built with them before but they went into a SE 45 amp I made for a friend. He has been extremely satisfied with the amp (based on JE Labs/Angela Instruments 2001 edition Simple 2A3) and I believe it has much to do with Jack's excellent iron.

The outputs in these amps are a little different - I had Jack wind them with silver secondaries. It's my first experience with silver transformers and I need to allow more burn in / listening time, but first impressions are very favorable.

It's been a while since I listened much to a 45, so any comparisons I make to the 46 might be tainted by the passage of time. I hear some very similar qualities, though.

Hi Binh, and thanks for the kind words. It sounds like you and I might have a lot to talk about... I have parts here for Baby O amps, as well. :)

Yes, the outputs are Electraprint. I've built with them before but they went into a SE 45 amp I made for a friend. He has been extremely satisfied with the amp (based on JE Labs/Angela Instruments 2001 edition Simple 2A3) and I believe it has much to do with Jack's excellent iron.

The outputs in these amps are a little different - I had Jack wind them with silver secondaries. It's my first experience with silver transformers and I need to allow more burn in / listening time, but first impressions are very favorable.

It's been a while since I listened much to a 45, so any comparisons I make to the 46 might be tainted by the passage of time. I hear some very similar qualities, though.

You will like the transformer very much. The sound with partial silver transformer is very transparent, high resolution imaging and sonic bass.
If you are planning on build of Baby Ongaku then try the Yellow T for the driver, you won't disappointed.

Binh

You will like the transformer very much. The sound with partial silver transformer is very transparent, high resolution imaging and sonic bass.
If you are planning on build of Baby Ongaku then try the Yellow T for the driver, you won't disappointed.

Yellow T?

These particular Electraprints are wound with solid silver secondaries. When Jack wound them for me some years ago, the cost was still within reason so I figured I'd splurge. I've got high hopes for them.

WOW - you went all out on this build. They look fantastic, I wanna take a test drive!! Good on ya mate... you keeping these??

Cheers,

Bob
Thanks Bob! Yeah, I intend to hang onto these for a while. Maybe years from now I'll be stubbing my toes on 'em in the garage - that'll be the time to send them down the road!

Great job Redboy! Love the look. What was the price of the outputs and how long did it take Electraprint to wind the outputs? I've always been impressed with Jack's work.

I don't recall the exact price, but it was several years ago before the price of silver went silly, so I'm sure they'd be more today.

Yellow T?

These particular Electraprints are wound with solid silver secondaries. When Jack wound them for me some years ago, the cost was still within reason so I figured I'd splurge. I've got high hopes for them.

"yellow T" is BRIMAR T-Series 6060, same as 12AT7. I don't know the rule here which allow you to post the commercial website or not, if you want I can PM you the link.

I don't know there is the difference in sound between solid vs. multi stranded silver wire on secondaries but definitely a lot better than James transformers.

Below is the 45 mono blocks that I just built for my friend. It blows a way the set I have with James OT. The way I can compare the sound with Electraprint transformer like it's in front of you and the sound with James transformer like it's behind the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_4273.jpg
    IMG_4273.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_4271.jpg
    IMG_4271.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_4272.jpg
    IMG_4272.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 316
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.