James or Silk for EL36SE? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default James or Silk for EL36SE?

Allthow I at the moment don`t have cash to buy the them I would like you oppinion.
I am building an SE amp with EL36 and I`ve been reading allot about SE transformer in diyaudio and Ive decided to go with either James or silk..
And I would like the abbillity to shiftbetween triod and UL.
So its either Silk S-305
or James JS-6113HS
or possibly James JS-6123HS if it makes things better..

I will be running EL 36 at about 50mA.
Old 31st August 2014, 05:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to valmig21
HI,JS-6123S and EL36 with 350V/50ma are 6wats crystal saund.If you use 6S45P with ihterstage transformer...it,s great!
Old 31st August 2014, 06:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Near Eindhoven, the sanctum of the pentode. and among that other things.
Send a message via Skype™ to v4lve lover
If you want a more elaborate data sheet on the EL36, the E235L is exactly the same tube without the top cap.

you could try screen drive, lineairity ought to be good judging from the curves published in the E235L datasheet.
Old 31st August 2014, 07:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Both long life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lve lover View Post
If you want a more elaborate data sheet on the EL36, the E235L is exactly the same tube without the top cap.

you could try screen drive, lineairity ought to be good judging from the curves published in the E235L datasheet.
Old 31st August 2014, 11:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

EL36's have published curves for screen grid drive, so that would seem one way to explore its nature in a somewhat unusual way? The other feature which stands out for me is that Ia curves are published showing operation at some pretty chunky currents, somehow seems a shame to only use 50mA - I know max Ik spec is only 200mA or so (IIRC), but I've always felt that might well be a 'conditions' rating for its intended tv line stage use - not that I have explored higher current operation personally.....the high heater current implies a hefty cathode I think.

Dunno, not sure I would just do a 50mA/pentode/triode SE with an EL36, it's such a curious valve, might offer up more in some alternate modes?

Last edited by luckythedog; 31st August 2014 at 11:34 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!