• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Question about using tube socket center hole for star ground

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any good reason not to drop a screw through the center hole of a norval socket and use this as the star grounding point?

Attachments

• IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 198
No reason I can think of.

However in my experience with building tube gear I have always found that a bus grounding method is A.) neater in construction and B.) easier to achieve less hum/noise.

A healthy fat copper bus is also great at providing a stable solder tie point to the sometimes largish components used in tube equipment.

Many use the centre spigot as the local star ground point. Not only for convenience of soldering many leads to one point, but also to use the screening capability of the spigot itself.

I've only ever soldered to spigots before. Bolting seems a bit pointless to me - as I'd prefer to make any such bolted connection that may take lugged wires as the single chassis connection point (although some use say an input socket for that chassis connection).

The Belton sockets I have don't have a center spigot like you mention - there's just a hole through the center of the socket with a recess that allows a M3 screw to sit flush with the top of the socket base.

The idea of a centralized star point or a ground bus is starting to look more viable to me.

Like mctavish I too favor a heavy ground buss. #12 tinned copper wire positioned above the tube's sockets and anchored (above ground) at both ends. The center is then grounded to a central point usually at mid point on the chassis. Power supply grounds are also brought to this central (star) ground, and not to the ground buss. You could use the tube socket's center post as an anchor point. This system has always provided me with clean hum free performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.