Question about using tube socket center hole for star ground - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Jaimo is offline Jaimo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Question about using tube socket center hole for star ground

Is there any good reason not to drop a screw through the center hole of a norval socket and use this as the star grounding point?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1197.jpg (607.3 KB, 111 views)
Old 11th May 2014, 07:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

No reason I can think of.

However in my experience with building tube gear I have always found that a bus grounding method is A.) neater in construction and B.) easier to achieve less hum/noise.

A healthy fat copper bus is also great at providing a stable solder tie point to the sometimes largish components used in tube equipment.
Old 11th May 2014, 07:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for responding, I am also considering a ground bus option but the hole in the socket center got me thinking that it could work as a star point and keep my wire round short.
Old 11th May 2014, 09:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Many use the centre spigot as the local star ground point. Not only for convenience of soldering many leads to one point, but also to use the screening capability of the spigot itself.

I've only ever soldered to spigots before. Bolting seems a bit pointless to me - as I'd prefer to make any such bolted connection that may take lugged wires as the single chassis connection point (although some use say an input socket for that chassis connection).
Old 11th May 2014, 11:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The Belton sockets I have don't have a center spigot like you mention - there's just a hole through the center of the socket with a recess that allows a M3 screw to sit flush with the top of the socket base.

The idea of a centralized star point or a ground bus is starting to look more viable to me.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Probably a good idea to fit a bolt and connect it to 0V for the input tube base, just for its benefit as a shield.
Old 12th May 2014, 01:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Like mctavish I too favor a heavy ground buss. #12 tinned copper wire positioned above the tube's sockets and anchored (above ground) at both ends. The center is then grounded to a central point usually at mid point on the chassis. Power supply grounds are also brought to this central (star) ground, and not to the ground buss. You could use the tube socket's center post as an anchor point. This system has always provided me with clean hum free performance.

Hide this!Advertise here!