• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Real russian tubes anyone??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Got a photo of them??

No..There must be plenty on the net though.

I have a connection in ex ussr....and there are tubes all over the place, just gotta know what to buy

Just ask away, I'm sure people will answer...

What you want to buy depends on your market perspectives...

Former USSR export tubes are usually of better quality compared to what you may find locally.

I usually bought through agencies in the Soviet Union and quality was not bad at all...

Cheers,;)

Well since youre the tube expert around, you may know what i should go for.

Tubes for the ultimate (i know such thing as ultimate amps dosnt exist...i though trust your judgement better than mine when it comes to tubes) pre and power amp.........im not looking to import for any market, its for myself.

Magura

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Build a pre and a power tube amp. Hence the question about what amp and pre to build and wich tubes to get for such.

Sure...That's still pretty vague though.

Preamp: Linelevel only?

Poweramp: How many Watts do you need? SE or PP? Class of operation, etc.

It's not a simple yes or no game as you may notice...

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Now what is linelevel??

Errr...pretty much the breastline of that avatar you're displaying....

Flamin' hormones...Excuse.

By linelevel is meant a CD or equivalent source not really requireing amplification even a lot of people use some.

Think low mu, low Zout tubes acting as semi-buffers to the amp.

A SE class A around 10W

That's a huge raft of tubes from triodes to pentodes...

Any preference for directly heated triodes or whatever?

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Hi,

By linelevel is meant a CD or equivalent source not really requireing amplification even a lot of people use some.

Think low mu, low Zout tubes acting as semi-buffers to the amp.

That's a huge raft of tubes from triodes to pentodes...

Any preference for directly heated triodes or whatever?

Cheers,;)

Directly heated???

As you may have figured....im 100% new to tubes :(

Linelevel it is then.

Magura

Colt45 said:
I can help you.. need to be a little more specific though. there are quite a few tubes that can do 10w SE.

You gotta aske the questions you need me to answer......so you need to be a little more specific ;)

I havnt got a clue about tubes. I just stumbled on the option to build a tube amp for relatively little money, cause i can get the tubes more or less for free :)

Magura

Hey-Hey!!!!,
For a beginner, I would recommend the Bottlehead assembly manuals. Nice linestage design, can be used with a whole raft of dual triodes. They have amplifiers which are directly heated,so that part of the circuitry is explained also.
The manuals are not to expensive and contain all technical specifications of the parts, so you can shop for other sources for your particular tube's requirements. They also have layout pictures, which will give you some idea of how things should be done, until you learn the detailed reasons yourself.
One thing, their stuff is all parallel feed in the output stage, and that is not absolutely the simplest thing to do, just one way to skin the proverbial cat. Thye have great skill at getting parts which are jsut adequate for the job at hand, although recently they have started offering Iron which has some reserve capacity in case you want to deviate radically from the original design. Very careful are those guys, and skilled...anyway, good luck getting your project off the ground, there is help all over the place.
regards,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.