• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube getter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No idea, I generally replace them when the transconductance has fallen below the manufacturer's minimum, (or a specific number of hours based on experience) and that usually happens in the tubes I am familiar with before the getter is fully consumed.

I assume it will just start to get gassy if it is not already and eventually an odd glow will be seen between the electrodes if the voltages are sufficiently high.

Is this a power tube or small signal as that does make a difference wrt end of life failures.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
No idea, I generally replace them when the transconductance has fallen below the manufacturer's minimum, (or a specific number of hours based on experience) and that usually happens in the tubes I am familiar with before the getter is fully consumed.

I assume it will just start to get gassy if it is not already and eventually an odd glow will be seen between the electrodes if the voltages are sufficiently high.

Is this a power tube or small signal as that does make a difference wrt end of life failures.

Its a 6L6GC Brimar one of a pair :( (Very old) sound great..
I know its the end but...:bawling:

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
:D:D:D,

Well after pulling the tube from the amp...It would seem that the getter ring on the bottom was tilted down to the glass base and it was just a small amount "now gone" on the side of the tube....BUT there is still loads left in the base of the tube so its back in...:cheerful:

( I couldn't see it until I looked in the bottom of the glass envelope)

Regards
M. Gregg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.