• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone tried this at home?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wanna try this nice piece of Russian-art,It's stamped RK-71....but believe it's a GK71,when I am correct.Looks a lot like a 813 too.
Anyone familiar with this tubie?
Sure would help me:))
Thanks in forward!
Arthur.

Attachments

• resize of crop phto0006.jpg
    resize of crop phto0006.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 918
universum said:
Wanna try this nice piece of Russian-art,It's stamped RK-71....but believe it's a GK71,when I am correct.Looks a lot like a 813 too.
Anyone familiar with this tubie?
Sure would help me:))
Thanks in forward!
Arthur.

These valves look super-beefy and are on my 'to do' list ! Lit up with the lights off , very impressive looking . I estimate trioded Ra to be about 1.5k if the mug1g2/transconductance specs are anything to go by . After trying various triode strapped pentodes and tetrodes with anode voltages way over the g2 limit , 700V should be handled easily triode-strapped . I have built sockets already from teflon septars and will plot curves on the tester up to 400V , should give a good idea if my Ra guestimate is correct . One point to note : the heater requirements are a little on the 'nasty' side and will require DC for SE usage (20V heaters) , I doubt a hum pot and AC heating will be quiet enough . I'll post the triode test results once I've completed what's currently on the bench

316a

graphite

fdegrove said:
Hi,

It is a GK71 but that tube isn't a 813.

Like most of those big bottles it's a transmitting tube, in casu a tetrode.

If you have a few spares they're certainly worth building with.
Love those graphite anodes...

Cheers,;)

Hi Frank,

That's what i thought too:)
Would be a shame to leave them laying around...I have three of them left(gave two away to a friend),sure like the white filements once lit up looks like a bulb(no orange glow here:))what a light!!
What should i put in front of these biggies?
I was thinking of an El-84 followed by an EL-34 and the the GK-71,but maybe I should stick to DHT's?Suggestions?
Thanks in forward!
Cheers:))

Re: Re: Anyone tried this at home?

316a said:

These valves look super-beefy and are on my 'to do' list ! Lit up with the lights off , very impressive looking . I estimate trioded Ra to be about 1.5k if the mug1g2/transconductance specs are anything to go by . After trying various triode strapped pentodes and tetrodes with anode voltages way over the g2 limit , 700V should be handled easily triode-strapped . I have built sockets already from teflon septars and will plot curves on the tester up to 400V , should give a good idea if my Ra guestimate is correct . One point to note : the heater requirements are a little on the 'nasty' side and will require DC for SE usage (20V heaters) , I doubt a hum pot and AC heating will be quiet enough . I'll post the triode test results once I've completed what's currently on the bench

316a
According to the specs the limit on g2 is 400 volt,so wanna be a bit on the save side,you really think they can handle up to 700 Volts?Was thinking of triode strapping and put an el-84 an EL-34 in front..(triode mode too:)
Wanna try AC on the heaters too,if that doesn't work i can go to DC later:)But I am very curious how your testresults develop:)
Please keep me posted:)
Let there be light!(can read my paper next to it:))orange?...nah white!

Thank you all for your replies!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone tried this at home?

316a said:

YES ;) Here's my prototype teflon socket

WOW looking great!Did you make them yourself?Looks prof to me.

Don't have one:-(or two...do you sell?

Did you use clip leads to light yours up ?

Yes i did..whehehe,on 12 volt dc...only for the picture...

Well it's gonna be a while when i start the project,working on other amps that must be done first,then the nicer things..

What are you planning to make?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone tried this at home?

universum said:
316a said:

YES ;) Here's my prototype teflon socket

WOW looking great!Did you make them yourself?Looks prof to me.

Don't have one:-(or two...do you sell?

Did you use clip leads to light yours up ?

Yes i did..whehehe,on 12 volt dc...only for the picture...

Well it's gonna be a while when i start the project,working on other amps that must be done first,then the nicer things..

What are you planning to make?

12V DC ! Thats a bit wimpy . The things look far more impressive with 20V on them . The sockets are adapted from teflon septars . The contacts are removed and the holes opened up . I then insert bullet crimp shells inside the holes and use a slice of teflon with a nut and bolt to retain the contacts . Topcaps can be made from terminal blocks withe the connectors removed . I just drill out a slice of 1" teflon bar and push the teflon on to the connector once its screwed on to the topcap . None are for sale , you have to make them yourself but I do have a fair quantity of the septar sockets in stock in case you are interested in making some yourself . I should really get busy with the triode curves now......

316a

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone tried this at home?

316a said:

12V DC ! Thats a bit wimpy . The things look far more impressive with 20V on them .

I know,tried before,then it's a really lightbulb!

The sockets are adapted from teflon septars . The contacts are removed and the holes opened up . I then insert bullet crimp shells inside the holes and use a slice of teflon with a nut and bolt to retain the contacts .

You have slices of teflon laying around...

Topcaps can be made from terminal blocks withe the connectors removed .

Have made a nice sort of "spring retainer" for that...All clamped nicely,and for high temp..

I just drill out a slice of 1" teflon bar and push the teflon on to the connector once its screwed on to the topcap . None are for sale , you have to make them yourself but I do have a fair quantity of the septar sockets in stock in case you are interested in making some yourself .

Well i sure am:))

Maybe i can make you happy with something else to trade?
What do you really need,maybe i have it:))

I should really get busy with the triode curves now......

OOOoops,yep...didn't want to disturb...:))

Thanks,have a nice evening.

Arthur.

316a

GK71 as a triode

Ran some tests last week on the AVO using an outboard filament supply . Limited by the AVO CT160 tester limits (400V / 100mA) , mu measured as 4 and gm at 2.6mA/V (approx 1.5k) at 60mA/250V . As I can only test up to 400V at present , 250V is about central for calculating mu which is very constant as was gm at various operating points for the same current . As current increases so will mu and Ra will decrease , I would expect Ra to approach 1k and mu to increase to 5 >100mA . Curves are similar to the 845 but lower Ra . Hopefully will have some 5K SE transformers wound in the next few months to see what the things can really do , unless anyone UK based has a pair of 5k SE outputs going begging ;)

316a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.