• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choosing Cathode Bypass Capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Industry leading companies like Panasonic and Elna have audio grade capacitors. I am not informed what would be their specific quality but I find it hard to believe these brands risk their reputation.
They've just identified an impressionable market. They're not really risking anything as long as the "audio" ones are not actually worse than the regular ones. Since they don't specify what is actually supposed to be better about them, you can't claim they haven't fulfilled their claims. Genius!:D
And at least one of those manufacturers had some serious problems with their electrolytics back in the 80s, so if anything, they've had to rebuild their reputation...

Here's what ELNA claim: http://www.elna.co.jp/en/capacitor/alumi/catalog/pdf/rfs_e.pdf
"ELNA developed new raw material for the separate paper which use a silk fibers. Therefore, this capacitor can give you high grade sound for your audio design.
● Due to the silk fiber's pliability, the capacitor makes a dream of the high quality sound.
For examples ;
● To relieve the music's vibration energy.
● To decrease the peak feeling sound at high compass and rough quality sound at middle compass.
● To increase massive sound at low compass
."

Hmm... It seems being an industry leader doean't necessairly mean you don't talk utter nonsense :rolleyes:

Actually, this is a very common practice. In my industry, it's common to sell the same item to two different markets using different part numbers and labeling. The pricing for (e.g.) pharmaceutical customers is double that of (e.g.) sporting goods customers. I saw the same thing when I had a motorcycle- the Yamaha dealer would sell the points for five times the price of a Subaru dealer, same product, different number and package. But one was "motorcycle," the other was "automobile." No-one is being defrauded because the product does what it claims for both end uses.

One of my colleagues in the chemical industry told me the story of a customer who tried two different products, loved one, hated the other. They were, of course, the same product but with different packaging and part numbers. The customer, of course, preferred the more expensive one, but made unhappy noises about having to pay that premium for the "superior" performance.

An idea I had to investigate the 'sound' of different resistors, capacitors, valves, etc.
was to set up a test rig with a large number of simple unity-gain triode stages in series
(say about 20 of them). Any sonic difference would then be compounded. Switching between alternative caps and resistors would be included, but valves would have to be swapped (or perhaps build two identical rigs!).
Apart from the time and the expense, I have the horrible feeling that I still might not hear any difference at the end of it all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.