• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What's the Best Way to Reduce Gain in a Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

This forum is so helpful...Thank you all!

Here's another question I hope will help me and others.

I have too much gain in a preamp. I'm using 6J5gt's or 6C5gt's in a simple SE circuit.

What is the best way to reduce gain?

I am using a 50k linear pot along with 7.5k resistor after the pot.
I am using a load resistance of 12.5k

Lower load resistor value?
Use cathode resistor and bypass cap?
Higher pot value?
Increase input resistance?
Find lower Mu Tubes? Triode connected pentodes? I have EL34's, 6V6's and 6DJ6's.

Any comments are welcome.
Thanks

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Without a schematic, it's nearly impossible to give advice for your specific circuit. I'm guessing the better options will be to use a tube with a lower mu or use an un-bypassed cathode resistor. But without a schematic, we're shooting in the dark here...

Messing with the volume pot will have little to no effect.

~Tom

Wrong way :eek:
Try it like this :)
Mona

Attachments

• vvha.JPG
    vvha.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,003
Ketje has it right on the volume pot being wrong. I notice you are basically trying to use it at the generic operating point from the datasheets, plate voltage 90V, grid 0V, 10mA plate current. What they don't mention is that this is with a B+ voltage in excess of 300V, so the load resistor can be a sizable value. If you want to add distortion for that "tube" sound, this setup is fine.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_19 Apr. 18 18.17.jpg
    ScreenHunter_19 Apr. 18 18.17.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 800
Thank you all... and thank you for the corrections.
Jerluwoo...are you saying that the schematic you drew will add distortion?

I am trying to avoid having feedback from the cathode resistor...and avoid the need for a bypass Capacitor.
Also...will a higher B+ and load resistor allow for less distortion?

The impedance of the SS amp I'm currently using is 30k... the input for the ST-35 power amp this will be driving is 500k.

I replaced the 6J5 with a triode connected 1Q5 ( DH Tetrode) just for fun.
I used the same dc power supply but dropped the voltage to 1.3v with 1n4007 diodes.
I did this just to try them out.

They have a definite edge over the 6C5 and 6J5's.
Now if I can just get the 1Q5's to stop ringing! It sounds like a haunted house with them.
They put out a clean, natural sound though!

Blue Ray 200mV output

so if you are using this pre to drive a ST-35, you don't need gain (assuming you are using a CD or similar as a source)

In fact, all you need is a selector and a volume control. But if you feel the need to include a tube, build a cathode follower.

My sources are the following
- Pioneer Blue Ray player that puts out 200mV rms.

- Turntable that I will DIY a phono preamp with equalization...so I can choose the desired gain.

So a little gain - 5x will allow the ST-35 to reach the full 17.5W.... If I ever need it.

Last edited:
Hi I would request adv also

Hi I also wish to reduce the gain of my DIY preamp. I attached schematic & will appreciate any instruction. I m not very knowledgeable in audio electronics so easy instruction would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 6F2 preamp.jpg
    6F2 preamp.jpg
    738.8 KB · Views: 226
Hi I also wish to reduce the gain of my DIY preamp. I attached schematic & will appreciate any instruction. I m not very knowledgeable in audio electronics so easy instruction would be appreciated.

one quick way, reduce the 22k feedback resistor to say 10k...

another way is to replace that 22k to a series combination of 2.2k and 20k pot so you can adjust the gain to suit your taste..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.