• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Repairing valve bases

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I have had to remove the base of my fave 27, as in the photo.

My question is about adhesives, does anyone know if araldite is

suitable for gluing the base back on ? :smash:

Attachments

• p1060050.jpg
    p1060050.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 232
Sorry don't know about araldite.

Loose Bases.

To re-cement the tube, use clear nail polish - paint a ring around the base, let the polish soak into the old cement, recoat, and let dry overnight. Polystyrene "coil dope" works as well, and can be used to refill the nail-polish bottle.

Solvent (acetone, etc.) are ineffective in softening the old base cement - the cement was baked hard in manufacture, and "nothing" dissolves it.

"Source : Tube Lore by Ludwell Sibley"

Cheers,
Bas

EC8010 said:
Why not solder the valve directly into the circuit, avoiding the leaky valve base, valve socket, one soldered connection and one contact connection?

Don't think it is a good idea. The base is there to provide support to the glass in addition to allow ease of interchanging tubes.

By the way indeed there are subminiature tubes with leads to be soldered directly to the circuit. But not for bigger tubes.

Though for years I thought it was the thing to do, someone who knows about these things once explained why you should not use superglue; you can end up with cracked glass. I don't remember the exact detail or who it was. Consequently I wouldn't use superglue, I believe a more pliable adhesive is required.

I wouldn't use any epoxy based glues, they'll probably melt when it warms up. Or at least soften.

Epoxy sticks things really well, but as it gets warm it starts going very rubbery and eventually turns into a sticky mess. If you've ever tried to sand it you'll know what I mean.

I'm also not so sure about how healthy the fumes from warmed up glue are. Anything that involves Cyanide in it's production kind of scares me...! :xeye:

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.