• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Biasing of KT120

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not a mechanic, but I imagine something like this: if you change the pistons in your car engine to ones that can withstand higher temperatures and higher rpm's, but change nothing on the rest of the engine, your car will not go any faster.
Running KT120 in a KT88 amp won't make a noticable change in output power. Even if there is some extra power, it will only be a dB or so.
Perhaps there will be a difference in distortion character and better bass response. No experience here with the KT120 however.
Running KT120s at the lower KT88 settings should lead to longer valve life.

Longer life and a slightly different sonic presentation, but not any additional power in the testing I've done. The KT120 tube sounds fantastic to me. It has deep tight bass, a full and slightly warm midrange, and a bit rolled off top end. In an already dark sounding amp it might not be the best choice though, depending on what you value.

It has a quite controlled presentation, and I think more similar sounding to a good EL 34 than a good 6L6.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.