Tubes and HT - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2014, 11:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tubes and HT

So..... I'm planning a theater in a house i dont own yet, so this is a pretty far off project, but never too far off not to plan.

I plan on a SEOS/CD/Dual 15"JBL2226H as my main LCR. I may go DSP for a XO, mainly the MiniDSP type......

What are your thoughts, if any on integrating Tubes in a HT. Especially the WG ! I would love to run some mono Triode's on the top end, for some reason i don't think Tubes are up to driving the JBL's though...

Post whatever you want here, its a brainstorm of sorts :0)
Old 16th April 2014, 12:06 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Big PP amps will drive the 2226 just fine.
Old 16th April 2014, 12:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Big PP amps will drive the 2226 just fine.
Go on..............
Old 16th April 2014, 08:24 AM   #4
Banned

Kevin - How big is big?

kgveteran - I'm quite happy with just EL84PP. But of course, my drivers are not JBL 2226H but Tannoy HPD385A. It was even OK on my smallish room as I used 300B to drive it too when then mood is right.
Old 17th April 2014, 12:01 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

So....... This is a Tube section isn't it. 139 reads and 2 replies..... What PP amps does this Kevin speak of that can drive 15" JBL2226H's in a twoway design. I'll start with one, mite require two 15's if there isn't enough punch.
Old 17th April 2014, 01:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

So, a PP tube amp with BIG cojones is wanted. Try a Harman/Kardon Citation II that has been refurbished ala Jim McShane. You get a very solid 60+ WPC continuously and well over 120 WPC instantaneously.
Old 17th April 2014, 01:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
So....... This is a Tube section isn't it. 139 reads and 2 replies..... What PP amps does this Kevin speak of that can drive 15" JBL2226H's in a twoway design. I'll start with one, mite require two 15's if there isn't enough punch.

Well I was just about to say that just about anything will drive those speakers, its all about the volume.

Now I see you want massive volume, considering you said you might add another woofer, so I assume you want to have the full wattage to that JBL, which I'm guessing is a few hundred watts.

Perhaps you could look at some sweep tube amps, or go with some 6L6GC's in parallel in push pull.
Old 17th April 2014, 01:55 AM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

What's your budget and do you want to build or buy? How much power do you think you need?

The rebuilt Citation II is a good recommendation, but you could also purchase any number of older Manley, VTL or ARC mono block amps in the 120 - 300W per channel range.
Old 17th April 2014, 10:55 AM   #9
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Us Brits find a title like "Tubes and HT" very confusing! We mentally translate the 'tubes' to 'valves', and then decide we don't need to translate the 'HT' so it becomes a thread about supply rail voltages. What's that got to do with video receivers? 8-)
Old 17th April 2014, 10:59 AM   #10
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

HT - Home Theater

Hide this!Advertise here!