• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubes and HT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So..... I'm planning a theater in a house i dont own yet, so this is a pretty far off project, but never too far off not to plan.

I plan on a SEOS/CD/Dual 15"JBL2226H as my main LCR. I may go DSP for a XO, mainly the MiniDSP type......

What are your thoughts, if any on integrating Tubes in a HT. Especially the WG ! I would love to run some mono Triode's on the top end, for some reason i don't think Tubes are up to driving the JBL's though...

Post whatever you want here, its a brainstorm of sorts :0)

So....... This is a Tube section isn't it. 139 reads and 2 replies..... What PP amps does this Kevin speak of that can drive 15" JBL2226H's in a twoway design. I'll start with one, mite require two 15's if there isn't enough punch.

Well I was just about to say that just about anything will drive those speakers, its all about the volume.

Now I see you want massive volume, considering you said you might add another woofer, so I assume you want to have the full wattage to that JBL, which I'm guessing is a few hundred watts.

Perhaps you could look at some sweep tube amps, or go with some 6L6GC's in parallel in push pull.

Us Brits find a title like "Tubes and HT" very confusing! We mentally translate the 'tubes' to 'valves', and then decide we don't need to translate the 'HT' so it becomes a thread about supply rail voltages. What's that got to do with video receivers? :cool:

Valves and JBL Cinema type speakers. Twoway Waveguide with dual 15's like the JBL2226H. This would be in a room about 15'X20' and a 8-9' ceiling. Most listening centered around 85db, plus or minus 20db peaks. Now i will be making three of these for my left,center,right main speakers. They will go behind an accoustically transperent screen. I cant imagine less than 200watts per channel. They dont need to be pretty, just supply enough power to get there at the listening position. So, i would need three stereo amps. SS pro amps can be had for 400.00 in that price range, or less. SS= solid state...........Its an unfair to compare SS to Valve price wise....

Us Brits find a title like "Tubes and HT" very confusing! We mentally translate the 'tubes' to 'valves', and then decide we don't need to translate the 'HT' so it becomes a thread about supply rail voltages. What's that got to do with video receivers? :cool:

I'm not a Brit, but my mind jumped to that conclusion too. I guess I've been reading too many Mullard and GEC books.

Cripes!

I just looked at the JBL2226H specifications and I don't see why you need that much power. At 97db/W-M I would think anything over 60W in a tube amp should drive them quite well.

64W should produce 115dB at 1M. And that is only one speaker, three channels should be capible of 'beyond the threshold of pain' operation with no problems.

I just don't see it.

My den is slightly larger than the proposed HT Room.

I've got Klipsch Heresy speakers (1977 series, 96dB/W-M) and have no problems generating stupid sound levels with 60W from my original STR5600.

Granted room prep will effect spl, and I've got paneling on all walls with carpeting on the floor. I need some tapertries on the walls.

The only place I see a need for 200W would be for a sub if you have one, and I recommend an SS amp for that (which is what I have).

I use my 30 watt GM70's to drive JBL E140's (Much the same speaker) And it sounds freekin' awesome! Oh and very loud in a big room. If you have 50 watts/ch and THREE 2226.....you will not need any more than that. IMHO

Attachments

• IMG_5118_cr.jpg
    IMG_5118_cr.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 80
So..... I'm planning a theater in a house i dont own yet, so this is a pretty far off project, but never too far off not to plan.

I plan on a SEOS/CD/Dual 15"JBL2226H as my main LCR. I may go DSP for a XO, mainly the MiniDSP type......

What are your thoughts, if any on integrating Tubes in a HT. Especially the WG ! I would love to run some mono Triode's on the top end, for some reason i don't think Tubes are up to driving the JBL's though...

Post whatever you want here, its a brainstorm of sorts :0)
the most simple, low parts design tube amp for your highs.
for higher wattage. I would try to get the best of both worlds- a hybrid tube amp. Tubes are the ultimate in drive and solid state is the ultimate output stage (current buffer).
I would not do dsp crossovers because they have a tendency to sterilize the sound. a tube base front end is a simple circuit and putting the crossover on the end is not hard either.

and what I've found through blind testing is that the tube with solid state output sounds better than the all tube design at the same wattage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.