Diff amp driver -> SE output - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2004, 12:08 AM   #11
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Universum,

What you're proposing is what is called a "Ripplekiller".

As you describe it it injects the ripple from the PS into the grid of the triode and you then take it of the plate out phase where it mostly cancels out.

What you don't mention is that this cause a voltage drop in the PS...No free lunch in electronics.

Cheers,
Old 8th January 2004, 12:14 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have a kind of ripple reduction thing in there already, the cap from B+ to cathode described in Tubecad. I need to get better caps for that and the cathode bias cap on the 2A3. The noise/hum level isn't too bad now, I don't really care as long as it's inaudible from my listening position during late night listening.

So will the triode provide any voltage regulation, or is this just a hum reduction circuit?

I don't have a cathode resistor now, I have a battery under the cathode. Thanks for the idea though, that's not something I'd thought about.

Frank, I understand what you mean about keeping the resistors as low as possible. I think, anyway I have a 100MHz scope, and it isn't too good when the timebase is turned all the way up. Nevertheless, I've used it to get a general feel for the level of hash in the circuit (just looking at the fuzziness of the trace), and maybe I can use that to determine oscillations on the tube in a similar way.
Old 8th January 2004, 12:29 AM   #13
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
I have a kind of ripple reduction thing in there already, the cap from B+ to cathode described in Tubecad.
Know what ya mean...Pretty clever trick.

Quote:
So will the triode provide any voltage regulation, or is this just a hum reduction circuit?
Nah...It reduces ripple.
Since there's no voltage reference and comparator it can't track anything but it provides some extra isolation from the B+ nonetheless, not a bad thing to have.

I could explain in detail but I think you got the picture already.

Quote:
and maybe I can use that to determine oscillations on the tube in a similar way.
Sure, you can use that scope for that.

Cheers,
Old 8th January 2004, 04:42 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Understood regarding the spare triode thing, but maybe the better solution is to switch the driver stage to 6C45pis. OK, maybe not better, but more fun

Thanks for the help.

Hide this!Advertise here!