• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Se6l6gc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys:
I just auditioned my first tube amp. I can't believe the sound. It's wonderful. I have never heard detail like this in anything I have built to date. And, the kit only cost 484.00 with shipping. Best money I ever spent. Out of the thousand or two or three I have spent building my gear this amp has made the most profound change in what I hear. For the price you can't go wrong:D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This thread's timing is timely :^)

Tuesday night i was looking at the Fi Primer 6L6 SE Amp, Wednesday i picked up a Baldwin organ with all the parts, but OPTs to build a 6L6 SE amp of some variety, and today this thread.

This kit looks to be a bargin with the OPTs costing about a $100 each if you were going to go out and buy them by themselves (hammond 1628SE).

Can anyone suggest alternate OPTs that could be picked up used or salvaged -- gotta keep my costs down towards nothing at the moment.

dave

Planet10:
Actually, the Fi Primer calls for a 2.5k impedance on the primary which would be a 1627SE. The 1628SE has a 5k primary. The site I recomended has a page on a SE 6L6GC with a circuit description. Also, Angela is about the cheapest I,ve seen for OPT's at 89.00 apiece. Don't scrimp on tubes, buy the best you can get. The detail is in the tubes and I can really hear a difference between the cheap ones and the moneypits. The kit I got came with the iron already mounted and partially wired so it only took me about 2 hrs to finish assembly.Have fun:D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PassFan said:
the Fi Primer calls for a 2.5k impedance on the primary which would be a 1627SE. The 1628SE has a 5k primary. The site I recomended has a page on a SE 6L6GC with a circuit description.

True, The Fi amp uses 2.5k primary (as you would with a 2A3). I mentioned the 1628 because that is what you have in your gabevee amp (at least that is what it says in the description).

I already have the 6L6s (including backups). Right now i'm on a Frugal-phile (tm) budget and even $89 USD is not achievable. What i was wondering was whether anyone knew of an old amp that i could keep my eye out for that i could snag OPTs from -- time & projects i have (the collection in the picture, from which i will be able to build a number of amps with little cost, cost close to zero).

dave

pheonix-collageS.jpg

You could try the Hammond 125ESE's. They are about 35 bucks apiece and do sound very good. They are designed to give a variety of primary and secondary impedances. In spite of the claimed 100-10,000 frequency response, I got 30-15,000 with 300Bs. With good circuit deployment, you may get similar results with 6L6's. There is no UL tap, though.

These folks have them:

http://www.angela.com

Hope this helps.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PassFan said:
1628SE has a 5k primary... Angela is about the cheapest I've seen for OPT's at 89.00 apiece. Don't scrimp on tubes, buy the best you can get.

Electro-Sonic in Canada just quoted me $122.25 CAD ($76.77 USD at today's rates), so that makes them the bargain price leaders -- special order thou. If you order off the web-site before end April there is an additional 10% discount making them about $70 USD each!

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.