• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Beginners question(help!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm currently building an EL34 PP design from Van der Veen "Modern high-end valve amplifiers" book(70W pentode/30W triode with 4xEL34 per channel). Since my electronics knowledge is very basic I must admit I could have chosen an easier amp to build but.. I just couldn't help to going the hard way :D

Well.. here are the questions: as I would like to be sure everything is well connected, I was wondering if I can test the Power Supply circuit first(just the power supply and check the voltages for the expected values), then connect the phase splitter and test, and only then the output stage and hope nothing blows.
Is there any problem if I connect the power supply to the mains without any load? will this kill the mains transformer or just be ok?
As to the phase splitter, may I test it without the ECC82 in the socket, or is it a no go? same with the output valves.

Thank you very much in advance, and please bear with my weak electronics skills.

Tiago

PS: By the way, any DIY'ers in the Lisbon area?

A thing or two

Hi Tiagor.

As long as the PS and coupling capacitors are not stressed by over voltage, no problem. When the splitter tube is installed, the voltage maybe a little high, so the performance, like clipping, will be slightly different then when the Output tubes are installed, loading the PS voltages down. Other than that you should be ok.

Testing the amp in blocks is a fine idea.

When testing the power supply, you can substitute a power resistor as a dummy load, simulating the current draw of the circuit. Use Ohm's Law to determine a suitable value, given the total idle current draw and the nominal rail voltage. You don't have to be too exact, but mind the power rating! The advantage of this is that it draws the supply down to its actual operating voltage, will show up excessive ripple, and will also discharge the caps after you power down the supply.

Hi Tiagor!!

As to the phase splitter, may I test it without the ECC82 in the socket, or is it a no go? same with the output valves.

Yes you can...but expect the voltages will be a litlle higher that with normal load..
And when testing put a hand in your pocket...just in case...;)
Good luck!

Hi miguel!
Yes there are, but I am in Coimbra

Me too!!!
I am from Coimbra too...besides now i am living in Aveiro.
Very near.;)

thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the replies, they'll most certainly prove helpful.

Miguel, the output transformer is the Amplimo(Plitron) PAT4004. It yelds 70W(30 when connected in triode mode). It has neat specifications, with a bandwidth of 22.7 Hz - 187.4 kHz. I only wished it was less expensive :xeye:
For the mains transformers i'm using the Amplimo 6N606.

I'm not posting the schematics here because i do not know if it is copyrighted in any way, but you may check it on: http://www3.sympatico.ca/r.godmaire/Home.htm
This is the page of a guy who built it. Just take out the bypass caps on his schematics, and you have the original thing.

By the way, I'm using silicon coated copper wire(rated up to 3A) for all the wiring but the filaments. Just coudn't find any shop that sells teflon insulated wire :mad:
As for the filament wiring, I'm just using a thick wire I found around, though I feel a bit unconfortable about it's quality for the purpose, as it's supposed to feed 6.3A through it(Should i use any special purpose wire instead?)

Take care,

Tiago

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.