Amplifier for active bookshelf speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2014, 10:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amplifier for active bookshelf speakers

Hello everyone!
A couple a months ago i bought a Yaqin MC-13S tube amplifier for my fullrange diy speakers.

Now i've completed my second speaker project consisting of:
Woofer: Scanspeak 15w8530k00
Tweeter: Bohlender Graebener Neo3PDRW

I will use a nanoDigi from miniDSP to actively filter these speakers. I would want to use the tube amp i already have for the woofers but need to get another amplifier for the tweeters.

Ive found this one: 6N2+6P1

Rated at 5W @ 8ohms and the tweeters are 20W @ 4 ohms.

I would like to have your opinion on wether or not this is a good ide? Would you recommend me getting this or maybe a Sure tk2050 4x100W for the whole setup?

Im not sure..

Thanks for your help!
Old 1st April 2014, 12:12 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Your main amp is basically a push pull ultra linear EL34 type.

You need about 1/3 to 1/4 of the bassmid power for the treble.

Don't believe that 5W rating for a second, it is simply not on,
not by a long, long way, especially SE and 4 ohms load.
Make a decent headphone amplifier, not much else.

Click the image to open in full size.

Something like the above push pull valve complement will output
a real > 5W (say 8W?) into 4 ohms. FWIW for treble use you
can get away with quite small (i.e. cheaper) output transformers.

The basic type is quite common, and the prices do vary.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 1st April 2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 1st April 2014, 03:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok i feared something like that.

Say i got the amplifier you showed above, how can i make sure that the volume is the same on the tweeter and the woofers?

What do you mean with output transformer? Like a class-d amp?

hugligan
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugligan View Post
Ok i feared something like that.

Say i got the amplifier you showed above, how can i make sure that the volume is the same on the tweeter and the woofers?

What do you mean with output transformer? Like a class-d amp?

hugligan
As far as output transformers go, nearly all tube amps will have one, whether it be class A or not (with some exceptions including OTL or output transformerless amps). What sreten was saying is that physically small output transformers usually have bad low range fequency response, but since your only powering tweeters with it, small transformers are fine.

I don't know much about the minidsp but you might want to see if it can also allow you to adjust the balance of volume between the woofers and tweeters.
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:26 PM   #5
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

If you use an amp like the one shown by sreten, you only need to adjust the balance on one amplifier to set the overall response. After that use a volume control preceding the nanoDigi or digital volume control within it.

I built a 6P1P PP amp and it delivers an honest 8W in full class A.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/751...ittingdone.jpg

in this thread:

Sven 6P1P PP Amp
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTubeAmper View Post
As far as output transformers go, nearly all tube amps will have one, whether it be class A or not (with some exceptions including OTL or output transformerless amps). What sreten was saying is that physically small output transformers usually have bad low range fequency response, but since your only powering tweeters with it, small transformers are fine.

I don't know much about the minidsp but you might want to see if it can also allow you to adjust the balance of volume between the woofers and tweeters.
Ah I see now. Sounds pretty good, then i can suffice with a cheapish tube amp like that Music Angel. I think ill go for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
If you use an amp like the one shown by sreten, you only need to adjust the balance on one amplifier to set the overall response. After that use a volume control preceding the nanoDigi or digital volume control within it.

I built a 6P1P PP amp and it delivers an honest 8W in full class A.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/751...ittingdone.jpg

in this thread:

Sven 6P1P PP Amp
That's true, when i have a good combo ill leave the amps and just adjust on my computer and the nanoDigi (it has built in IR for volume and source).

Will it be hard to find the right treble level or will i hear it directly whats suitable ?

Thanks for the replies, truely valuable!

Hide this!Advertise here!