Tube circuit sim software for free? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2014, 12:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube circuit sim software for free?

is there such a thing?
Old 31st March 2014, 12:48 AM   #2
iko is online now iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

ltspice, free and it works great, but you need to invest a bit of time into learning how to use it.
Old 31st March 2014, 12:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply.

i can use multi-sim 11 just fine and I can use PCB artist. I feel as if eagle cad would not be a problem either. but to the best of my understanding I need to import some kind of tube library in here and downloading the tube library has been giving me crap. I think it's called PSpice or something?

Could I trouble you for a bit of guidance with what you think I need to learn?
Old 31st March 2014, 12:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Also get Duncan PSU Designer. Very quick and easy tool for more designs than just tube amps.
Old 31st March 2014, 05:58 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildafriend View Post
. . . i can use multi-sim 11 just fine . . .
Aren't there some vacuum tube models already built into Multisim? I never made the effort to figure out how to extend Multisim with external models, but I think it can use anything written in standard SPICE format.

Quote:
. . . I need to import some kind of tube library in here and downloading the tube library has been giving me crap. I think it's called PSpice or something? . . .
"PSPICE" is a commercial program based on the public-domain SPICE circuit simulation program from the 1970's. I believe PSPICE will cost you a few thousand dollars per copy (they used to have a very limited-capability demo version), but it may be a good investment if you are in the business of doing circuit design - especially since it links to ORCAD's other EDA tools.

PSPICE can use models written in standard SPICE syntax, as well as a few language "extensions" originated for PSPICE. If there is an official vacuum tube library for PSPICE it is almost certainly copyrighted. There are other vacuum tube models available on the web. Two popular ones are Norman Koren Vacuum tube audio page and Spice Models Most of these models should be compatible with other SPICE-based circuit simulators, or can be made compatible with minor changes.

Dale
Old 31st March 2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Tina TI
SPICE-Based Analog Simulation Program - TINA-TI - TI Software Folder
Old 31st March 2014, 09:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildafriend View Post
Thanks for the reply.

i can use multi-sim 11 just fine and I can use PCB artist. I feel as if eagle cad would not be a problem either. but to the best of my understanding I need to import some kind of tube library in here and downloading the tube library has been giving me crap. I think it's called PSpice or something?

Could I trouble you for a bit of guidance with what you think I need to learn?
Are you looking for a PCB designer or SIM software? Two different things.
Old 31st March 2014, 12:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinb View Post
Yeah, I'm a long term Tina user also. I find it very easy to use. Adding macros is no problem (after I was shown how to do it by one kind soul on this message board).

PSpice is another version of the Spice program universe. Tina compiles PSpice macros, no problem.
Old 31st March 2014, 02:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk1980 View Post
Are you looking for a PCB designer or SIM software? Two different things.
I am looking for a tube circuit simulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Yeah, I'm a long term Tina user also. I find it very easy to use. Adding macros is no problem (after I was shown how to do it by one kind soul on this message board).

PSpice is another version of the Spice program universe. Tina compiles PSpice macros, no problem.
it sounds like I should look into Tina too then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinb View Post
thank you for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm View Post
Aren't there some vacuum tube models already built into Multisim? I never made the effort to figure out how to extend Multisim with external models, but I think it can use anything written in standard SPICE format.

"PSPICE" is a commercial program based on the public-domain SPICE circuit simulation program from the 1970's. I believe PSPICE will cost you a few thousand dollars per copy (they used to have a very limited-capability demo version), but it may be a good investment if you are in the business of doing circuit design - especially since it links to ORCAD's other EDA tools.

PSPICE can use models written in standard SPICE syntax, as well as a few language "extensions" originated for PSPICE. If there is an official vacuum tube library for PSPICE it is almost certainly copyrighted. There are other vacuum tube models available on the web. Two popular ones are Norman Koren Vacuum tube audio page and Spice Models Most of these models should be compatible with other SPICE-based circuit simulators, or can be made compatible with minor changes.

Dale
I only had multi sim in tech school.. I was becoming a little bit of a wizard on it too! I see the trial version but it seems limited. like down to only 50 components. I wish eagle cad was free and had tubes because that program seems to kick butt for PCB design. From what I can tell its what the pros use. It does do auto routing but I would assume that it would be a terrible idea for heater traces. maybe it would be decent for some solid state amplifiers or low voltage logic boards.

unfortunately im not in the business of doing tube circuit design, but I am trying to become a half way decent tube circuit designer. I post often in the group DIY forum but this forum had the answer that I was looking for via a google search. thats why I bumped an old thread and started this one. I'm sorry if I'm crowding the board in any way, thats not my intention.

PSPICE is objectively not what I want then.. I have no $.

Great info thank you! I will look into these two other simulators and its nice to know about this "spice" platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodacose View Post
Also get Duncan PSU Designer. Very quick and easy tool for more designs than just tube amps.
Awesome!!

Last edited by buildafriend; 31st March 2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 31st March 2014, 02:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Any of the flavors of Spice (sorry.... <g>) will be able to simulate vacuum tube circuitry.

Hide this!Advertise here!