• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6v6 family tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Not sure how large you want your "family" to be but I don't think this one is related to the 6V6.

Miniature base: EL90, 6AQ5, N727, 6L31, CV1862 etc. ,

Noval base: 6P1P (Russia, slightly different) and 6P1 (China, also different from 6P1P), different pin out: 6BW6. 6287.

Octal: VT107, CV510, 6AY5, OSW3106, 6F6 should work too.

Ciao, ;)

No, the 6CW5 is not similar to the 6V6. It is a 6BQ5/EL84 with a high gain screen grid which must not be fed over 300 volts, usually quite a bit less.

The 6EZ5 was on the dollar list at the usual places a few years ago until I mentioned that it plugged right into a 6V6 socket in many applications including the SSE. Now they are $5. The 6EY5 may work too, but I haven't tried that one.

No, the 6CW5 is not similar to the 6V6. It is a 6BQ5/EL84 with a high gain screen grid which must not be fed over 300 volts, usually quite a bit less.

The 6EZ5 was on the dollar list at the usual places a few years ago until I mentioned that it plugged right into a 6V6 socket in many applications including the SSE. Now they are $5. The 6EY5 may work too, but I haven't tried that one.

yes George, the 12w6, and a lot of other tv tubes that used to sell for $1 a few years ago now sells for over $4, the 12W6 sounded so fabulous in my pp amp...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/211254-those-magnificient-television-tubes-4.html
IMG_4437_zps63d30d45.jpg

FWIW I finally tried some NOS 6EZ5 and 6EY6 tubes I bought a few years back in a new build...and as was said they pull waaay more current than a 6V6 so a rebias is definitely in order i.e. read 18V across a 250 ohm shared cathode resistor in a PP amp with a 6V6's installed and got 24V with a 6EZ5 or 6EY6.

I hope this is not hijacking the thread - I wanted to ask the '6V6 gurus' a question about this tube. I am looking to use it in a 'heavy driver' stage. 6V6 attracts me because of the beautiful triode curves and low Rp.

What's the maximum safe working voltage for this tube? I know what the spec sheets say obviously - but could I get away with say 15mA CCS per side in a push - pull choke loaded LTP with B+ at 500-525V, but the 6V6 plate idling at 300V? I would be using the Electroharmonix GT version.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Fender guitar amplifiers often run 6V6 over 400V all night long. 440V is not uncommon, and 500V has been seen.

I think the 315-350V rating was both conservative and Marketing. You don't need over 250V to get full Class A power with decently low impedances. If you really want "more!", buy the bigger/costlier 6L6 or 807; that's why they exist. Ah, but Fender kept pushing the little shot-glass 6V6 and didn't find much problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.