Capacitor Question /question on cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Capacitor Question

Hi to all expert ,

I have some question about cap :

1 : What is MKP capacitor stand for? Any special characteristic?

2 : What is the advantage of oil capacitor compare with normal AC capacitor without oil? What are the purposes of the oil?

3 : Is it possible to replace electrolyte capacitor with AC capacitor? (If cost and size is not a problem.) Will it improve the amp performance?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Tuna Fish :)

Question on Cap

Hi to all expert,

I have some question about cap :

1 : What is MKP capacitor stand for? Any special characteristic?

2 : What is the advantage of oil capacitor compare with normal AC capacitor without oil? What are the purposes of the oil?

3 : Is it possible to replace electrolyte capacitor with AC capacitor? (If cost and size is not a problem.) Will it improve the amp performance?

Thank you for your help.

Tuna Fish

MKP-type capacitors

The MKP-type capacitors consist of a low-loss dielectric formed by pure polypropylene foil. A thin self-healing healing mixture of zinc and aluminium is metallised directly on one side of the PP-foil under vacuum. This ensures long operating life of the capacitor. In some cases additional unmetallised foils are added between the metallised ones. The capacitor elements are dried in a vacuum. After insertion into the capacitor case, a patented viscous polyurethane resin, mainly containing castor oil, is introduced. This protects the winding from environmental influence and provides an extended life expectancy and stable capacitance. Like the MPP-dielectric, MKP is self-healing.

Paper in Oil Capacitors Audio Consulting.

Paper in oil capacitors are commonly used in high-end tube amplifiers and sound systems. They also have uses in speaker crossovers. Used in tube amps for power supply filtering, or as AC interstage coupling elements, or in passive loudspeaker crossovers, they give stunning results when compared to audio grade polymer film or other paper in oil capacitors. Wherever you may use them, they make you realise the amount of dielectric noise plastic film capacitors can produce.

Moreover, as they are designed for 0% failure under tropical conditions, the capacitors meet the highest expectations when it comes to stability and very long term performance in very high quality audio equipment.

There are different types of paper in oil capacitors, The second is Kristall Cap, designed to provide the best performance possible!
If money isn't important, 10 uF / 1600 VDC Kristall Cap will cost you $495- Australian :D :dead: :bawling:

Jensen Paper in Oil capacitors

You should also check Jensen caps as they are among the best you will find anywhere. Their pure metal foil Paper-in-Oil capacitors are used world wide by DIY audiophiles and high-end amplifier manufacturers.

I would recomand Google search.. You'll find just about anything that might be of interest to you..

MKP is the polypropilene dielectric cap
You can by them new in almost every store...They are sonicly good but have limits in a values hard to find more the 20
miro F and higher Voltage values...
oil caps are old parts
using in tube amps for the Power supplys
as well as for the signal flow
I used them even for the some crossover
out of production i thik
(Be careful That oil inside is extremly
dangerous causing cancer etc...)

Zoran said:
oil caps are old parts
out of production i thik
(Be careful That oil inside is extremly
dangerous causing cancer etc...)
No, they are not out of production. They are made in both Europe and the US, and perhaps other places.

And the oil inside them is not dangerous. The oil in the old Russian capacitors (and very old western ones) may contain PCBs, so that can be dangerous. The oil in new caps is safe.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

HV caps

I happen to agree... For coupling caps as well.

That's very interesting, since higher voltage caps have more dielectric stuffed between the plates and the plates are bigger to compensate. I'd think that if the bad actors in capacitors are the dielectrics and the metal foils (or metallizations), minimizing them would be better, but apparently not?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I'd think that if the bad actors in capacitors are the dielectrics and the metal foils (or metallizations), minimizing them would be better, but apparently not?

It does seem rather odd, I know.

For coupling caps I tend to prefer smallish value ( no point in going down to DC) , but at over the top insulation values, prefering a 600VDC cap over a 400 one where a 400 VDC one would have done nicely.

Has it to do with the required strength of the dielectric film? I don't know...

So far it's just something I've had a preference for sonically.

Never really played the same trick on PS caps but maybe Rich has something to add of more value here?

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.