• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Screen Power and Warmup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's strongly risky to apply power to the screen first.

The screen current will rise much higher than normal operation, and if the product of Vg2 x Ig2 exceeds the rating for Pg2 in the data sheet, you risk burning out the screen.

Sometimes a high enough value of resistor in the screen will prevent damage, but that may degrade the operation of the pentode/beam tube.

applying anode voltage with zero screen voltage during warm-up, OTOH, is safe, - even kind to the valve.

Previously known as kingden
Joined 2008
I figured it was risky to power the screen first. Nevertheless, I have seen amplifier designs where that can happen easily.

I am asking because the easiest way to switch the screen current in and out of the circuit is with a PMOS. Relays that can handle those voltages are expensive. Are there any techniques I am missing here? I can switch B+ with a NMOS in the cathode easily, but cannot "go inside the tube" to switch the screen. The problem with PMOS is I cannot find any 1000V devices.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.