Tube horizontal mounting position - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Centera is offline Centera  Netherlands
Account disabled at member's request

Default Tube horizontal mounting position

Hello Gents,

I am preparing to build an amplifier with several different tubes. Because of the enclosure that I am using I am forced to mount the tubes inside the enclosure in a horizontal position. I have looked up the datasheets for the tubes that are involved in this project and I found that most tubes can be mounted in any position, the only tube I could not find this information for is the PL519.

The tubes that I will be using are: ECC83, 8CG7, 6080, EL84 and PL519.

Can the PL519 be mounted in any position as well and are there any general guidelines in horizontal mounting positions for tubes?
Old 10th March 2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I'm pretty sure you can mount these horizontally... I'm thinking back to ancient CTV's that used PL509 (PL519) and I seem to remember seeing some models have them horizontal. And in that application (line output stage) they led a tough life but lasted well.
Old 10th March 2014, 11:56 AM   #3
DUG is online now DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Some tubes also have a specific orientation when mounted horizontal.

It should indicate this in the data sheet if it is important.
Old 10th March 2014, 11:56 AM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

The general guideline is to check the datasheet, which you have done. Also, remember that gravity may work against you instead of for you.
Old 10th March 2014, 12:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
The PL519 Line Output TV Valve has been for many years mounted both horizontal and vertical. There is an E version available if required.
Old 10th March 2014, 01:43 PM   #6

-

Last edited by Centera; 10th March 2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10th March 2014, 01:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It was often recommended on DH, and some iDH tubes to mount them such that the elements are in the vertical plane. This means that the grid wires run vertically when mounted horizontally. Think about it. the cathode and the grids will all go through thousands of heating and cooling cycles. you want to minimize the effects of gravity during these cycles.

If you mount a flat plank of wood with the wide side up (like a shelf), it will sag over time. The same board mounted with the thin edge up will remain straight. When the cathode and grid rods begin to sag, bad things happen. Tall tubes with long grid rods are worse case.
Old 10th March 2014, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
The PL519 Line Output TV Valve has been for many years mounted both horizontal and vertical. There is an E version available if required.
I am aware that there are also E versions of this tube, but I don't have any laying around (I am on a strict budget for this build). I intend to replace the output tubes with a pair of 6P45S's as soon as I can afford those

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
It was often recommended on DH, and some iDH tubes to mount them such that the elements are in the vertical plane. This means that the grid wires run vertically when mounted horizontally. Think about it. the cathode and the grids will all go through thousands of heating and cooling cycles. you want to minimize the effects of gravity during these cycles.

If you mount a flat plank of wood with the wide side up (like a shelf), it will sag over time. The same board mounted with the thin edge up will remain straight. When the cathode and grid rods begin to sag, bad things happen. Tall tubes with long grid rods are worse case.

I just found this image showing a horizontal mounted pair of PL519's on Google:
Click the image to open in full size.

It looks to me that the tubes are positioned with the plate and grids vertically aligned (pin 5 is on top). It seems to me this would be the most optimal position for mounting the tubes. I think it would not hurt to do this for the other tubes aswell.

Old 10th March 2014, 02:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It seems to me this would be the most optimal position for mounting the tubes. I think it would not hurt to do this for the other tubes aswell.
That is also my opinion, but I have found that many little tubes like the 12AX7/ECC83 come in different constructions that are not all aligned the same way with respect to the base.

I am building an amp with XL500's mounted horizontally, and I have oriented them like those in your picture.
Old 10th March 2014, 06:01 PM   #10
RE 604 is offline RE 604  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello ,

"Mounting position : any. " Valvo Tube Handbook , Empfängerröhren 1971 - 72 . It says also : "Special precautions must be taken to prevent the tube from becoming dislodged."

Kind regards , Alexander .

Hide this!Advertise here!