Disappointing results from RH84 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2014, 06:56 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
It shouldn't be a problem to bypass the cathode resistor on the driver with a cap. That's what I do in my Novar Spud.

~Tom
When using a triode as the driver for the RH amplifiers, the cathode is left un-bypassed to increase the driver's plate resistance, this is one of the design features specified by Mr. Kitic.
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:17 PM   #12
2bamp is offline 2bamp  Canada
diyAudio Member

I thought that the intended use of the amp was with an mp3 player on the input. Oh well...

The voltages were measured through a Vector socket on top of the chassis. I will have to remeasure, as they don't quite add up. 340v is a bit strong on the power tubes, so I will have to add some sand.

I will try adding a small cathode bypass cap. If that doesn't do it, I will have to add another triode stage. I am sure a couple of 6C4 could fit in my chassis with a pot. A gain of 2 would likely be all I need. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:22 PM   #13
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
When using a triode as the driver for the RH amplifiers, the cathode is left un-bypassed to increase the driver's plate resistance, this is one of the design features specified by Mr. Kitic.
It's Schade Feedback. There's nothing magic about it... I can't comment on AK's design choices, only say that it works well either way.

~Tom
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

2bamp-

If you think it's definitely the mp3 player output, you could give this nifty little trick a shot:

Antique Radio Forums • View topic - Passive Amplifier for your iPod 2 radio jack

I've always wanted to try it, but I haven't really had a need (perhaps when I finish my RH84 build...)

Part in question:

RadioShack Audio Output Transformer : Transformers | RadioShack.com

$2.99 a pop.
Old 4th March 2014, 02:38 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Wow, great reading there. Looks like it is a matter of an impedance mismatch.

I am going to have to try a CD player as my source. I bet I have some suitable little transformers in my parts collection to make the matching unit. I will post up my results. Thanks for the idea.
Old 4th March 2014, 03:14 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hopefully you were right about the lack of oomph from the driver. Would make sense that it's just not seeing enough V's from a headphone out. A 2V out from a CD player (or a mp3 player with that little transformer trick) might be all you need. Will be interested to hear results as I've just ordered some Transcendar iron for my build...
Old 4th March 2014, 03:57 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
It's Schade Feedback. There's nothing magic about it... I can't comment on AK's design choices, only say that it works well either way.

~Tom
I know what you are saying, I was merely pointing out that it was a key design choice on the RH amplifiers - it was left out on purpose.
Old 4th March 2014, 08:17 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
I know what you are saying, I was merely pointing out that it was a key design choice on the RH amplifiers - it was left out on purpose.
Indeed - its fairly important not to bypass the driver cathode.

Shoog
Old 4th March 2014, 11:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I did some A/B testing with my consoles that use similar tubes. I can honestly say that I am happy with the RH84 as built. I just needed to listen more carefully.

It doesn't have quite as much power, but the sound quality much better. I won't bore you with "audiophile speak," but the frequency response and voicing are on a whole different level. The improved design built with NOS PIO caps instead of ceramic probably has a lot to do with it. My solution to the reduced power: move the amplifier to a smaller room.

For my next build, I am going to try making an integrated amp optimized for the lower line level of my digital sources. I am thinking of a single triode stage on the front end into a volume pot. I have lots of TV tubes, so perhaps a 6SN7, 6CG7 or a pair of 6C4.

Anybody done this already? I have scoured the interwebz, but haven't found any examples.
Old 4th March 2014, 11:53 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

i'd be more inclined to put a 1:2 or transformer in the input. Two advantages - it would come close to matching your digital input voltages to CD line voltage, so less messing for different sources, and it would provide separation of ground loops

Hide this!Advertise here!